• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out I wasn't divorced from first wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rozzio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I thought I got divorced 14 years ago. I remarried about 9 years ago. I recently discovered that I was never divorced from my first wife and now my second wife and I are divorcing. What steps should I take to make sure that I am doing things legaly. Should I file for divorce from my first wife before I can from my second wife? Should I have my second marriage annuled? Can my second wife file criminal charges if I believed that I was divorced?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I thought I got divorced 14 years ago. I remarried about 9 years ago. I recently discovered that I was never divorced from my first wife and now my second wife and I are divorcing. What steps should I take to make sure that I am doing things legaly. Should I file for divorce from my first wife before I can from my second wife? Should I have my second marriage annuled? Can my second wife file criminal charges if I believed that I was divorced?
You should get an attorney IMMEDIATELY. Your second wife could file a complaint with the state which could lead to criminal charges. How did you not KNOW you were married still? IGNORANCE of the state of marriage is not a defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">