• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out was married only for a Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicilike84

I was married to a man and had a relationship with him for 4 years, 2 1/2 of which we were married. After our divorce was filed but before it was completed I found out he was engaged to another woman from work and had been cheating on me for months at least. After our divorce was filed we had to figure out about what to do with our vehicles as they still had loans with each of our names. As I continuously tried to get him to speak to me to get this resolved and he kept avoiding me, he finally answered told me he'd never loved me and had been using me to get a green card the entire time we were together. I was blown away that he would fake this entire relationship in order to defraud immigration for his own reasons.
Can I sue him for this? If so how would I go about filing and what would I file the lawsuit under?

Proserpina

I was married to a man and had a relationship with him for 4 years, 2 1/2 of which we were married. After our divorce was filed but before it was completed I found out he was engaged to another woman from work and had been cheating on me for months at least. After our divorce was filed we had to figure out about what to do with our vehicles as they still had loans with each of our names. As I continuously tried to get him to speak to me to get this resolved and he kept avoiding me, he finally answered told me he'd never loved me and had been using me to get a green card the entire time we were together. I was blown away that he would fake this entire relationship in order to defraud immigration for his own reasons.
Can I sue him for this? If so how would I go about filing and what would I file the lawsuit under?

What proof do you have of immigration fraud?

Do you think he's going to admit anything?

Edit: did you sponsor him via the I-864?

musicilike84

My father was the one who officially sponsored him. I don't know what I could get as proof and he is an excellent liar as I found out the hard way. What could I possibly do?

Proserpina

My father was the one who officially sponsored him. I don't know what I could get as proof and he is an excellent liar as I found out the hard way. What could I possibly do?

I'm going to advise you to tread carefully here.

First, proving immigration fraud is incredibly difficult. The fact that you were together for 4 years total, AND married for over 2 years would generally prove that the marriage was bona fide. If you try to claim fraud now it will likely be seen as nothing more than bitterness and revenge on your part (no matter how far from the truth that may be).

Second, if you initiate any proceedings against your ex - well, your father could end up supporting your ex if your ex knows what his rights are under the terms of the I-864.

Divorce doesn't negate the sponsor's obligation. Were you and Dad aware of that?

I honestly think your best course of action is to let this go and move on with your life.

Antigone*

Your dad is on the hook. Nothing you can do. Dad should speak to an attorney.

mistoffolees

Your dad is on the hook. Nothing you can do. Dad should speak to an attorney.
Absolutely.

Unless they can get stbx to admit in front of a bunch of witnesses or on tape that he only got married to get a Green Card, there's probably nothing to be done but divorce him and hope for the best for your Dad.

Even if you CAN get him to admit it in front of witnesses, there's no guarantee that your Dad will be off the hook, but at least the chances would be better.

Oh, and btw, don't be so sure it was true. He may have really wanted to marry you and is only saying that he did it just for the green card to hurt you.

Bali Hai

Absolutely.

Unless they can get stbx to admit in front of a bunch of witnesses or on tape that he only got married to get a Green Card, there's probably nothing to be done but divorce him and hope for the best for your Dad.

Even if you CAN get him to admit it in front of witnesses, there's no guarantee that your Dad will be off the hook, but at least the chances would be better.

Oh, and btw, don't be so sure it was true. He may have really wanted to marry you and is only saying that he did it just for the green card to hurt you.
That's exactly what he would tell the immigration judge.

Proserpina

That's exactly what he would tell the immigration judge.

I do agree.

As I said earlier though, being married for 2+ years plus together for a couple of years prior to that tends to prove a bona fide marriage.

Frankly this would never see the inside of a court-room (not for the immigration issue, anyway).

At least not in terms of fraud. In terms of enforcing the I-864? Different matter entirely. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">