• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fraudulent vehicle transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gerrrrr

What is the name of your state? arizona
my husband & I gave my brother in law a car when he got married 2 years ago, the car was titled in his name only. his wife decided she wanted a divorce and lied to him that I told him to give her the car in the divorce and he believed her. he asked her if the car needed to be notorized by him and her reply was that she would take care of it, whatever that meant. anywhere after we spoke i informed him that i did not tell her that she should have the car, i would not do that, i did not even know that they were getting a divorce. he believed her without checking w/ me first. come to find out she fraudulently transferred the car to her w/o his notorized signature which is required in the state of az. what can he do to get his car back?

In addition, she has kept many items/furnishings that i gave them while they were married what can be done about that.

Geri :confused:

Last edited:

JETX

"what can he do to get his car back?"
*** He can try contacting the state registration agency and see what he can do.

"In addition, she has kept many items/furnishings that i gave them while they were married what can be done about that."
*** Nothing. Your own post says that you GAVE the items to them. When you did that, you lost any claim and rights to the property.

G

gerrrrr

Dear JETX,

Thank you for responding to my message so promptly. I think I may have phrased the question incorrectly regarding the items/furnishings that I gave them. I realize that I have no claim to them, I am only looking out for my brother-in-law. he is so kind and a generous soul. In a community property state he should have received half of everything but he didn't even ask for what was rightfully his. My question should have been, how can he get what is rightfully his?

We want to help him, but we want to do it legally and without any bad karma attached. What she did regarding the car was fraud, according to "Title 17, chapter 4, R17-4-204" Seller's sgnature acknowledgement.
Sorry for the length but I would greatly appreciate any input. :)

JETX

"My question should have been, how can he get what is rightfully his?"
*** I guess we all missed this.... where is the car 'rightfully his'???
If the car was in his name and he gave it to her, either willingly or because she told him you said so, the bottom line is.... he gave her the car. Unless you were holding a gun to his head when he did it (why would he do what he is told YOU said anyway??), the title is now in her name. Tell him to let it go.... or you can give him another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">