• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend meeting with atty Tuesday, can estranged hubby be served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahutchGA

What is the name of your state? GA

Hey! As previously mentioned, my friend has left her husband of six years because he was cheating on her. She is meeting with an atty. on Tuesday to get the paperwork started on a legal separation (doesn't want a divorce at this time, but can't stay with husband).

She wanted me to ask you all:

1) Can the estranged husband be served papers by the sheriff regarding the separation? Like they do with divorces?

2) the couple has no children. My friend would like spousal support just as far as her moving expenses. Since she's leaving their apt. because that's where the liasions took place, she would like hubby to pay her moving expenses regarding rent, breaking lease, and startups. I know it would ultimately be up to the judge to decide, but does this sound fair to you all? She doesn't want monthly support or anything, since she makes a better income than he does.

Thanks again for your help.
:)

C

cyana

Check divorcesource.com ...

Under the state of GA. Apparently there is something there GA "divorce code" that *may* allow for a Legal Separation and the granting of "Maintenance". I am not a lawyer, though.

Suggest that your friend consult with a Family Law attorney. I do not know the answer to the question "can estranged husband be served" as if the it was a divorce. However it may be just she wants to make "him pay for his mistake and for her humiliation". When you mention that your friend likely has no real intent to either obtain a legal separation or divorce it makes it sound that way. If your friend really wants a "legal separation" and is either a catholic or has hopes the couple can "work things out" during their separation that is one thing. I hope it works out for your friend. But if the only thing she's hoping for is "justice/making him pay", I doubt very much that any court would take her seriously. Divorce (threat of) is NOT something to be taken lightly.

A

ahutchGA

Cyana...

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but...

A) Did you even READ my post?
B) Why did you add quotes and create sentences that I never said?
C) Why did you make assumptions about my friend's motives?

My friend IS meeting with a family law atty. on Tuesday.

She DOES take legal separation very seriously. She DOES plan to file. My friend is not sure if she wants a divorce, but she DEFINITELY wants a legal separation and to move on with her life.

Where did you think I said she has no real intent in filing? My friend is not making idle threats. She plans to follow through on her actions.

Once again, thank you for responding. But in the future, please stick to the post at hand. If you have questions, please ask them. But don't make up your own information and then respond as if it was the original post!

Thank you.

C

cyana

My mistake ... Sorry

I was confusing your facts with somebody elses. Good luck for you friend today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">