• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustrated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharonwhite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

How can I have my name removed from my previous residence from a previous marriage? I gave my ex-husband the house, but my name is still on it.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

How can I have my name removed from my previous residence from a previous marriage? I gave my ex-husband the house, but my name is still on it.
Do you mean still on the mortgage? If so, you should have put a provision in the divorce decree that he had to finance within XXX amount of time to remove you from the mortgage. If you didn't do that, then you have a problem.

Panicked in PA

If you're asking how to remove your name from a mortgage, your ex-hubby has to refinance in his name only OR sell the property. Going thru a mess like that myself...I feel your pain. Whatever you do, DON'T sign a Quitclaim Deed before your name is off the mortgage. Signing that quitclaim only turns the title over to your ex. In that case, the house would no longer be yours, but if your name is still on the mortgage, you're still financially responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">