• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fulfilling Criteria for Annulment in UK

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frjcksn

Hello,

I'll preface this by saying that my life and marital situation are quite complicated and my life is fairly hectic at the moment so thanks in advance for reading and commenting.

So I'm an American living in London, married to a French woman. Things have broken down between us and we would like to end our marriage, and I would like to leave the UK as soon as possible. We cannot by UK law get a divorce because we have only been married for 7 months, so I'm wondering if Annulment is a plausible option. I have two cases for annulment, but I'm unsure how strong and/or provable they are, as well as how strong they need to be in order for our petition for annulment to be accepted. I REALLY don't want to spend 400+ pounds on an annulment petition that gets rejected, only to have to pay for a divorce down the road. Anyway, my wife was inebriated during our wedding ceremony which I believe is grounds for annulment. We didn't have a spontaneous "vegas-style" wedding, so I don't know if that's applicable. Additionally, since we have been married I have been diagnosed with HSV-2, which is also potentially grounds for annulment, though because the virus can lay dormant with no symptoms for months or even years, it's not guaranteed that I got it from her. And she may not have it at all. So I'd like to know if I have a strong case and/or if annulment is a viable option.

Additionally, as I'd like to leave the UK ASAP, I'm wondering how long the process takes once the petition is submitted, and, assuming I have a strong case, if I can conceivably leave the country after submitting the petition and have it still go through.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Silverplum

Hello,

I'll preface this by saying that my life and marital situation are quite complicated and my life is fairly hectic at the moment so thanks in advance for reading and commenting.

So I'm an American living in London, married to a French woman. Things have broken down between us and we would like to end our marriage, and I would like to leave the UK as soon as possible. We cannot by UK law get a divorce because we have only been married for 7 months, so I'm wondering if Annulment is a plausible option. I have two cases for annulment, but I'm unsure how strong and/or provable they are, as well as how strong they need to be in order for our petition for annulment to be accepted. I REALLY don't want to spend 400+ pounds on an annulment petition that gets rejected, only to have to pay for a divorce down the road. Anyway, my wife was inebriated during our wedding ceremony which I believe is grounds for annulment. We didn't have a spontaneous "vegas-style" wedding, so I don't know if that's applicable. Additionally, since we have been married I have been diagnosed with HSV-2, which is also potentially grounds for annulment, though because the virus can lay dormant with no symptoms for months or even years, it's not guaranteed that I got it from her. And she may not have it at all. So I'd like to know if I have a strong case and/or if annulment is a viable option.

Additionally, as I'd like to leave the UK ASAP, I'm wondering how long the process takes once the petition is submitted, and, assuming I have a strong case, if I can conceivably leave the country after submitting the petition and have it still go through.

Thanks a lot for your time.
We only do USA law here, but I googled you this: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-annul-marriage/when-you-can-annul-a-marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">