• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

general advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daniky2

What is the name of your state? illinois

In a recent argument I had with my husband he pointed out that in the pre-nup I signed I had signed away my rights to his pension in life and in death.

The pre nup was presented me the week before our marriage, the marriage took place four months after he proposed and a year after he told all our friends, including my mother;s best friend that he was going to ask me. I gave it to a high priced well known law firm who reviewed it, had a discussion with his attorney and then told me it was okay. It was signed on a Thursday and our wedding was three days later on Sunday. I had looked at it but in the middle of working 11 hour days; and plannig the wedding didn't understand it and relied on my high priced attorney.

I am not contemplating divorce but would like to know what my rights are to the following:
1) his pension in divorce or death;
2) his other assets, (which are annuities. And also a trust that he uses as his checking account; it is titled the estate of XX in a bank) in divorce or death - they currently to go to his children. Leaving my lifestyle to deteriorate rapidly and his childrens lifestyles to improve dramatically.
3) what kind of attorney I should consult for advice if for some reason he ever decides he wants divorce;
4) or in the event he predeceases me.

thank you

B

Boxcarbill

You obviously are seeking a way to get around the pre nup. Since you had an attorney to advise you and both parties had separate attorneys, your chances of invalidating the pre-nup is slim to none.

It is really is irrelevant that the pre nup was presented a week before the wedding. You could have called off the wedding or postponed the wedding. It is irrelevant that you were more interested in wedding preparation than in the pre nup. The fact of the matter is you had legal representation and that legal representation was separate from the future husband's attorney and you signed it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">