• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a divorce after deportation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcstringer83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi I was deported in Oct of 2009... Was originally detained in IL from July 1 2009.

What I am wanting to do is file for divorce from my US citizen wife of 12 years.

On IN website for divorce. It says you have to be a resident of the last 6months. I am currently in Mexico I can not come back to the US for any court hearings and my Wife doesnt want a divorce.

I need advice how I go about filing and contesting a divorce. Or can i get an annulment? We have no kids or property to splitWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi I was deported in Oct of 2009... Was originally detained in IL from July 1 2009.

What I am wanting to do is file for divorce from my US citizen wife of 12 years.

On IN website for divorce. It says you have to be a resident of the last 6months. I am currently in Mexico I can not come back to the US for any court hearings and my Wife doesnt want a divorce.

I need advice how I go about filing and contesting a divorce. Or can i get an annulment? We have no kids or property to splitWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can file for divorce if either you OR your wife is a resident of IN, so in principle, you could get an attorney in IL to file on your behalf.

Alternatively, if Mexico law allows it, and since there are no kids or property to be divided, you could wait until you meet the residency requirements in Mexico and file there. However, I have no idea how hard or easy this would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">