• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting his retirement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhiannon10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
I have been physically separated from husband for almost 11 years. He is about to start receiving his retirement pension from his union job while we were living together years ago. I assumed I would receive a part of it or the monthly payments but found out the only way I can get it is by divorcing him. I am the beneficiary. another thing is he is about to lose his property to the guy he bought it from but he has a lawyer to fight it. it is a long story but I would also share in this property once he gets his case settle in court.
What I am asking is if this is true that I would have to divorce him to get my share of his retirement?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
I have been physically separated from husband for almost 11 years. He is about to start receiving his retirement pension from his union job while we were living together years ago. I assumed I would receive a part of it or the monthly payments but found out the only way I can get it is by divorcing him. I am the beneficiary. another thing is he is about to lose his property to the guy he bought it from but he has a lawyer to fight it. it is a long story but I would also share in this property once he gets his case settle in court.
What I am asking is if this is true that I would have to divorce him to get my share of his retirement?
What do the plan documents say?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You would need to divorce him. His retirement HE would receive. Why do you believe you are automatically entitled to any of it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">