• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting mad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio, my wife moved out of our rental house and has her own place, she still comes over and goes thru the house whenever she wants and today i seen her in the mailbox going thru my mail. Is she allowed to do this?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio, my wife moved out of our rental house and has her own place, she still comes over and goes thru the house whenever she wants and today i seen her in the mailbox going thru my mail. Is she allowed to do this?
Yes...As this is the marital home. If you would like sole custody of the marital home you will need to file for it in court.

nextwife

If you don't want her going through YOUR mail, consider forwarding it to a PO box, and going paperless with as many vendors as possible, having your stuff go to you by email.

LdiJ

She probably isn't going through YOUR mail, she is probably looking for HER mail.

bean66

Is this a house you both rent together? Or is it one you own and pay a mortgage on?

I'm curious maybe others can chime in here OG. If he were to sign a new rental agreement would it then be viewed as non marital home?

If your renting, you could see about breaking the lease and moving. Prior to moving out I would notify her to get her belongings.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is this a house you both rent together? Or is it one you own and pay a mortgage on?

I'm curious maybe others can chime in here OG. If he were to sign a new rental agreement would it then be viewed as non marital home?

If your renting, you could see about breaking the lease and moving. Prior to moving out I would notify her to get her belongings.
No. It is the marital residence as both of them lived there during the marriage. Breaking the lease is an issue if divorce papers have been filed due to the fact that he cannot cause her to become indebted by his actions.

Until he is given sole possession of the marital home in a temporary order, she is allowed to return.

bean66

No. It is the marital residence as both of them lived there during the marriage. Breaking the lease is an issue if divorce papers have been filed due to the fact that he cannot cause her to become indebted by his actions.

Until he is given sole possession of the marital home in a temporary order, she is allowed to return.
Could he move out and sublet? Thus avoiding any "indebtedness".

She became indebted when the lease was signed.
Should he be requesting that 1/2 of the rental payment be made by her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Could he move out and sublet? Thus avoiding any "indebtedness".

She became indebted when the lease was signed.
Should he be requesting that 1/2 of the rental payment be made by her.
She no longer lives there and has her own place. Does he want to pay half of HER rent? It would be marital debt as well if she had an apartment. The indebtedness additionally would be the cost of him moving and breaking the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">