• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Maiden name back 9 years after divorce in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reizende

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am not sure what needs to be done. Some people keep saying file petition for name change. Some say just go update my driver's license and SS card with my old name without doing any changes. Still others say I could ammend my divorce decree to ask for the maiden name back. 9 years have passed and I want to know what kind of hoops I have to jump through to get my maiden name back? At the time I was living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't afford to take more time off work to go all over town to update my legal documents so I just left the married name on to avoid the hassle. So much time has passed and I never really wanted to be associated with the ex husband's name anymore to begin with. What legal recourse do I have now?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am not sure what needs to be done. Some people keep saying file petition for name change. Some say just go update my driver's license and SS card with my old name without doing any changes. Still others say I could ammend my divorce decree to ask for the maiden name back. 9 years have passed and I want to know what kind of hoops I have to jump through to get my maiden name back? At the time I was living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't afford to take more time off work to go all over town to update my legal documents so I just left the married name on to avoid the hassle. So much time has passed and I never really wanted to be associated with the ex husband's name anymore to begin with. What legal recourse do I have now?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You would have to go through the process of legally changing your last name, in court, at this point.

Its going to be an even bigger hassle to change things now, than it would have been 9 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">