• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting married in jamaica

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathe007

What is the name of your state? new york. my fiance is a resident of new york state and i am relocating there from north carolina in december and we we will both be residents of new york state but are being married in jamaica december 30th 2002. what are the marital laws of jamaica with regard to property laws and equitable distribution?. if we should ever get a divorce what laws would govern the distribution portion of the divorce settlement? i am certain new york law states equal ownership upon marriage. will the fact we are marrying in jamaica affect that?

stephenk

New York will determine your property and support issues since that will be the state you both reside in. Doesnt matter where you get married.

P

phyllis613

Maybe a prenup would have been a good idea, if you are already concerned about what happens if you get a divorce. The laws governing the marriage and how property ownership is considered varies from state to state, so should you two take legal residence in another state in the future, THAT state would govern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">