• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jillybean9866

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
My name is Jill and my divorce was final March of 2009 but we still had property that had to be sold and the monies to be split. My ex-husband and his lawyer have dragged their feet on this matter to the point now where I am basically homeless ( if not for a series of friends letting me stay with them here and there). I was supposed to have recieved part of all his 401k's and was told that he had only one, then I found out that he had several. We have a property that we bought that has both of our names on it and was supposed to have been listed with a real estate agent for three months and then sold at auction, that has been over a year ago. The lawyer I had closed my case out because I don't have the money to pay him to file anything against my ex-husband and his lawyer. I also found out that the attorney that my husband retained, Meredith Wineland from Benton, Ar., also represented his previous ex-wife, Lana Harrod, in an action against him, my ex-husband, and was still representing her when she took my ex-husband as a client. I am due the money from the sale of this property and from the 401k's that he kept hidden yet I can't get anyone to talk to me. I have tried speaking to his attorney acting as my own representative but she refuses to talk to me. She will only say basically that "it is what it is". I need help and I literally DO NOT have ANY money at all. They both know this and his attorney knows that he said that he would see me buried in a cardboard box before I got anything out of him. He also kept ALL of my personal property and refused to split the property that we had bought together during the marriage. I unfortunately had an attorney that wasn't interested or was just too busy to care about a fair and equitable split. My ex-husband never allowed me to be on the checking account at all but ALL of my paychecks during the 7 year marriage were deposited in his bank account without the benefit of my ever having access to it. I was given an allowence of $20 and expected to buy feminine hygiene products and gas with that if I needed anything over and above that I was expected to justify it to him and then was expected to let him perform anal sex on me against my will. I now face losing the only thing I have left and that is my car. I am unemployed and have been unable to find a job. I live in Texas because that was as far as I could afford to go when I left him. I am desperate for help.

mistoffolees

Well, you have a choice. Either you find a way to get an attorney (possibly using legal aid), or you continue to flounder and don't receive what you're entitled to. The good news is that if he's in blatant violation of the divorce decree and if he's been hiding assets, you can request that you be reimbursed for any legal expenses. However, you'll need to act quickly - if you don't take action within some time period after finding out about the hidden assets, you lose the right to do anything about them.

Alternatively, you could file pro se (by yourself) in Arkansas for him to be held in contempt and for a modification of the property division based on his fraud, but I strongly suggest an attorney. The odds are very high that you'd do much better with an attorney - even after pay the fees. If you mess up the filing, you might walk away with nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">