• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a Raw Deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheFlash

Before I sign my divorce papers, I thought about posting my story to see if maybe, and hopefully, I missed something. Or maybe all of the attorneys I’ve worked with over the past 2 years have missed the same things. I was married for 11 years, stayed home with our children while my ex-husband ran his oil tank business. I’m going to give you only the facts as seen through my attorney.

1. My ex-husband earned on average $300,000 a year. Gross business income exceed $2M in several years
2. He maxed our credit cards (to a sum exceeding $75k) and did not pay them back
3. We have therefore filed for bankruptcy
4. We have no marital assets after 11 years of marriage
5. I had to go back to work after 7 years after we separated; he at the time still ran his business
6. Once I filed for child support and alimony, he bankrupted his business!
7. Since bankrupting his business, he now claims to make $18/hr driving trucks for a friend while my salary is about $45k/year
8. He counter filed for child support and alimony claiming I now make more than he does; this however, has been cancelled as the divorce papers state that neither he nor I are responsible for child support or alimony payments
9. He still owes back taxes for the years 2011 and 2012 from his business
10. We split time with our kids 50/50

So my question is; is this really the best deal I can get? That after staying home with the kids for 7 years, then having to start from the bottom again in my current job, that I will receive no alimony or child support. He does not have a college degree; however, he successfully ran a multi-million dollar business for years. Can he just stop working because he wants too and get away with not paying anything? My credit is destroyed, I have no assets, no alimony or child support and I now owe $10,000 in legal bills all for this deal… Can someone please tell me I’ve missed something. Is there anything worth fighting for anymore?

Bali Hai

Before I sign my divorce papers, I thought about posting my story to see if maybe, and hopefully, I missed something. Or maybe all of the attorneys I’ve worked with over the past 2 years have missed the same things. I was married for 11 years, stayed home with our children while my ex-husband ran his oil tank business. I’m going to give you only the facts as seen through my attorney.

1. My ex-husband earned on average $300,000 a year. Gross business income exceed $2M in several years
2. He maxed our credit cards (to a sum exceeding $75k) and did not pay them back
3. We have therefore filed for bankruptcy
4. We have no marital assets after 11 years of marriage
5. I had to go back to work after 7 years after we separated; he at the time still ran his business
6. Once I filed for child support and alimony, he bankrupted his business!
7. Since bankrupting his business, he now claims to make $18/hr driving trucks for a friend while my salary is about $45k/year
8. He counter filed for child support and alimony claiming I now make more than he does; this however, has been cancelled as the divorce papers state that neither he nor I are responsible for child support or alimony payments
9. He still owes back taxes for the years 2011 and 2012 from his business
10. We split time with our kids 50/50

So my question is; is this really the best deal I can get? That after staying home with the kids for 7 years, then having to start from the bottom again in my current job, that I will receive no alimony or child support. He does not have a college degree; however, he successfully ran a multi-million dollar business for years. Can he just stop working because he wants too and get away with not paying anything? My credit is destroyed, I have no assets, no alimony or child support and I now owe $10,000 in legal bills all for this deal… Can someone please tell me I’ve missed something. Is there anything worth fighting for anymore?
US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">