• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting spouse to leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notsohappy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I want to separate from my spouse. We are renting a home that is owned by my parents and I am the only person on the lease, so I do not want to move and my landlords wouldn't want him to live there while I live elsewhere (they allow us to pay reduced rent because I am their daughter, etc). I was recently told by a friend that VA law has changed and I can ask him to leave so long as he has 30 days notice. I cannot find anything online that refers to that. He does not want to leave and is employed only part time, is enrolled in college but does not go.

What are my options? I need a 6 month separation in this state so I can get a divorce, but we can't separate if he won't move out! :mad:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I want to separate from my spouse. We are renting a home that is owned by my parents and I am the only person on the lease, so I do not want to move and my landlords wouldn't want him to live there while I live elsewhere (they allow us to pay reduced rent because I am their daughter, etc). I was recently told by a friend that VA law has changed and I can ask him to leave so long as he has 30 days notice. I cannot find anything online that refers to that. He does not want to leave and is employed only part time, is enrolled in college but does not go.

What are my options? I need a 6 month separation in this state so I can get a divorce, but we can't separate if he won't move out! :mad:
Sorry, but it's the marital residence. I don't think you can kick him out of the marital residence without a court order. I guess it's remotely possible that your parents could do something since it's their house and he isn't on the lease, but that's a long shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">