• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girlfriend of a married guy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Ok here it goes. I left my husband in Feb. our divorce will be final in a few weeks. My boyfriend is still married but has been separted for 4 mths from this woman. She has found out about me and knows me. She has threatened to take his kids away from him. They have one tgther and the other two are from different marriages. She states she has picutres of me around the kids. I was around the kids but was told I was a baby sitter. The boyfriend and I did not show any affection or anything towards each at this time. We were smart. With those pictures and text messages we had sent to each other can she take the kids away? we both want to be tgthr but with all the issues is almost going to make him go back and me to say go back. Because all of this is tearing us up emotionally. Please help.

Silverplum

Ok here it goes. I left my husband in Feb. our divorce will be final in a few weeks. My boyfriend is still married but has been separted for 4 mths from this woman. She has found out about me and knows me. She has threatened to take his kids away from him. They have one tgther and the other two are from different marriages. She states she has picutres of me around the kids. I was around the kids but was told I was a baby sitter. The boyfriend and I did not show any affection or anything towards each at this time. We were smart. With those pictures and text messages we had sent to each other can she take the kids away? we both want to be tgthr but with all the issues is almost going to make him go back and me to say go back. Because all of this is tearing us up emotionally. Please help.
Not too smart, apparently.

We always tell posters: keep your blossoming new love life away from the kids till AFTER the divorce is FINAL.

Anything can happen.

mistoffolees

1. You've already been told that there's no reason for a new gf/bf to be near the kids until after the divorce is final. (Even after the divorce is final, there shouldn't be any overnights when the kids are around). So you blew that one.

2. I really doubt if she's going to be able to take the kids away on the basis of what you've said. HOWEVER, it's not going to be that simple. He probably doesn't have any legal right to see the kids that are from her earlier marriages, anyway unless she lets him. So in reality, he only has a legal right to see the kid that is his. Given the poor judgment on his part, she MAY be able to get fairly significant restrictions in the divorce decree that might keep you from being around the kid(s) even during the day.

majomom1

1. You've already been told that there's no reason for a new gf/bf to be near the kids until after the divorce is final. (Even after the divorce is final, there shouldn't be any overnights when the kids are around). So you blew that one.

2. I really doubt if she's going to be able to take the kids away on the basis of what you've said. HOWEVER, it's not going to be that simple. He probably doesn't have any legal right to see the kids that are from her earlier marriages, anyway unless she lets him. So in reality, he only has a legal right to see the kid that is his. Given the poor judgment on his part, she MAY be able to get fairly significant restrictions in the divorce decree that might keep you from being around the kid(s) even during the day.
I highly doubt that there will be restrictions during the day unless it can be proved that girlfriend is a danger to the child....

OP... it just isn't cool to start a new relationship with a still married man. Have they even filed for divorce yet? The best thing you can do is stay as far in the background as possible. It will save a lot of money and headache... it will also be beneficial to you. Do you really want to jump right into a new relationship now? You really get nothing until he is completely free from that marriage and then you will still have her to deal with on a regular basis.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I highly doubt that there will be restrictions during the day unless it can be proved that girlfriend is a danger to the child....

OP... it just isn't cool to start a new relationship with a still married man. Have they even filed for divorce yet? The best thing you can do is stay as far in the background as possible. It will save a lot of money and headache... it will also be beneficial to you. Do you really want to jump right into a new relationship now? You really get nothing until he is completely free from that marriage and then you will still have her to deal with on a regular basis.
What does she care? She's still a married WOMAN!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Your boyfriend apparently only has ONE child so he can kiss the other two goodbye. They are not his and mom can definitely deny him any access to them. And if you are there pressing the issue and pretending to be a baby sitter then damn straight she will and should.
Your boyfriend will be allowed access to HIS child. It will be according to court order. While the divorce is pending mom can get an order prohibiting any paramours (even those masquerading as babysitters) from being around the children. If dad does not obey that, he ends up in contempt of court and then can be penalized.

As for how much this is tearing you up emotionally, I do not care and neither does the court. The Court will care about the children and not some mistress who has moved in on a married man. Nor will the court care about whether the adulterer is torn up about not being able to be with his bedmate/booty call/fmate or whatever.

So yes, the short of it is, your boyfriend will lose the two children that are his wife's and not his forever if wifey wants it that way, AND there can be extreme restrictions put on his time with his child during the pendency of the divorce due to you.

erivas796

How can u call a man who's married your boyfriend? He's another woman's husband....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">