• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend went back on agreement. Please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DougDB7

Whilst I was with my ex girlfriend, she found herself in a bit of trouble financial wise. She was about to move into a new house and needed money for the deposit. Being the fool that I am, I offered to pay it for her. Since then we have obviously broken up. Immediately after the break up we agreed that she would repay the money over time. I didn't pressure her in any way and didn't kick up any fuss when months had passed and no money had been paid. Finally I got back in touch and asked where she was up to regarding the money. She replied saying that she owed me no money and that nothing would be repaid. So I was wondering if anybody knew whether I have any claim on the deposit I paid? Is there a way that I can get that money back for the letting agency? I paid it with my own personal debit card, so I imagine they have that information still on record. I know that I have been a total idiot throughout this situation, but I'm young and have since put the whole affair down to a learning experience.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whilst I was with my ex girlfriend, she found herself in a bit of trouble financial wise. She was about to move into a new house and needed money for the deposit. Being the fool that I am, I offered to pay it for her. Since then we have obviously broken up. Immediately after the break up we agreed that she would repay the money over time. I didn't pressure her in any way and didn't kick up any fuss when months had passed and no money had been paid. Finally I got back in touch and asked where she was up to regarding the money. She replied saying that she owed me no money and that nothing would be repaid. So I was wondering if anybody knew whether I have any claim on the deposit I paid? Is there a way that I can get that money back for the letting agency? I paid it with my own personal debit card, so I imagine they have that information still on record. I know that I have been a total idiot throughout this situation, but I'm young and have since put the whole affair down to a learning experience.
What US state?

ETA: Generally, here in the US, you can't take back a "gift". If you paid the deposit as a gift with no expectation, then you can't change it in to a loan when you break up. Even if she agreed to pay it back, you can't force her to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">