• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriends ex-husband filed bankruptcy, creditors coming after her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Garrocc

Washington State
This may not be the right forum, so I'm cross posting.

My girlfriend has been divorced for over 3 years, she has 3 children and is the primary care-giver, sharing joint custody with her ex-husband, hes providing child support.

She's gotten into a financial mess with her ex-husband and I'm trying to convince her to get legal counsel asap, but she's hesitant because we don't have a much money and she's hoping to keep things amiable with her ex.

It's a bit complex, here's the problem as I know it:

She and her ex had a credit card with a home supply store. This account supposedly was not included in the original divorce in that it was left open under both their names. My girlfriend says' she didn't know about it during the divorce because it was at a zero balance and there were no bills coming in on it so it got overlooked.

After the divorce her ex started using it and ended up being late on payments. She found about it when she started receiving letters and calls about the late payments. She took it to her ex and supposedly he paid it off. She then contacted the company and had the account closed. This was about a year and a half ago.

Last month her ex contacted her and told her that he was receiving bills for the account with her name on them. He explained that he had "applied" for a new credit card with the same Home Supply store, but instead of starting a new account he claims' they reopened the old account that had her name on it. Supposedly he didn't know about this and thought it was a new account. He ran up a bill of over $2500.00

Now he's filed for bankruptcy and included this account. Since he's going through bankruptcy he says they are now sending bills to his house but with her name on the bills for the debt on the account he reopened.

He then told her that he wanted to send them a letter as if it was from her, but she told him no, he wasn't to do anything on her behalf until she knew exactly what was going on. So he sent her a copy of a letter and told her to send it to them exactly as it appears but not to sign it. The letter appears to be from ether a credit debt reduction service or maybe a lawyer, it basically requires them to provide proof that they have a signed contract from her for the responsibility of the debt and they are violating the fair debt collection act if they do not comply and if they fail to respond she will sue them for $5000.00, the letter also includes a field for the name of her attorney which she doesn't have yet.

She told him before she did anything she wanted a notarized letter from him stating that the account was opened against her knowledge and he is solely responsible for the debt on it. He replied that he would never write or sign anything claiming responsibility for the debit because it would "mess up" his bankruptcy and that she could ether send the letter or not he didn't care anymore.

On a side note, he's also told her he'll not be able to pay child support on the first of the month because his bank account has been frozen. Apparently in their divorce there was never a due date set on when he is suppose to pay and he's done this before, he's always finally paid but he's left her hanging for up to 3 or more weeks before paying sometimes, leaving her in dire financial problems but with little she can do about it or so she believes.

What is her best course of action? Should she send this letter? Should she take him to court?

I know she needs an attorney hopefully your answers will help convince her.

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Washington State
She told him before she did anything she wanted a notarized letter from him stating that the account was opened against her knowledge and he is solely responsible for the debt on it. He replied that he would never write or sign anything claiming responsibility for the debit because it would "mess up" his bankruptcy and that she could ether send the letter or not he didn't care anymore.
She needs to contact the credit company and ask for proof she owes the debt. That much is correct. Either that or she will be responsible for the debt.

On a side note, he's also told her he'll not be able to pay child support on the first of the month because his bank account has been frozen. Apparently in their divorce there was never a due date set on when he is suppose to pay and he's done this before, he's always finally paid but he's left her hanging for up to 3 or more weeks before paying sometimes, leaving her in dire financial problems but with little she can do about it or so she believes.
Child support is not behind if it is paid anytime during the month it is due. She needs to alter her budget to compensate for it.

mistoffolees

She needs to contact the credit company and ask for proof she owes the debt. That much is correct. Either that or she will be responsible for the debt. .
In that letter, I would include a copy of the earlier letter closing the account to 'remind' them that they should not have opened (or re-opened) an account in her name without her signature.

One thing I agree with - she will not likely be able to get her ex to sign a letter stating that he opened the account in both names without her permission. Signing that letter is an admission of guilt that would open him up to criminal charges. If his attorney is any good at all, he'd never permit him to sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">