• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving Husband Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goodgirl

I live in Florida and am going thru a divorce. I don't have an attorney, but my husband does. I owned some property before I got married 18 years ago which of course is still in my maiden name. My husband is is wanting me to give him my property and his attorney will have the papers drawn up for me to sign to give it to him. Then when my husband decides to sell it, he says the papers I sign will be drawn up that he will have to give me half of the money. My question is........should I sign the papers and does my husband by law have to give me half of the money when he sells the property? Also how long can he keep the property before he sells it if I give it to him? I thought there had to be some kind of stipulation of how long he can actually keep it. I am very confused about this and I really don't have a ton of money for a lawyer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.......

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

goodgirl said:
My husband is is wanting me to give him my property and his attorney will have the papers drawn up for me to sign to give it to him.
My response:

What is the purpose of this property transfer ? Why are you considering doing this ?

IAAL

G

goodgirl

My husband is one of these people that wants everything for themselves no matter what. The reason is because I decided to leave him and it was not the other way around. My husband now says that I owe him and if I want an uncontested divorce, that I will give him my property or he will drag me thru court and make me pay as much money as possible to get even for leaving him. I left him because he was a drunk and never home. I will await someones reply back. Thanks, P......

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

goodgirl said:
My husband is one of these people that wants everything for themselves no matter what. The reason is because I decided to leave him and it was not the other way around. My husband now says that I owe him and if I want an uncontested divorce, that I will give him my property or he will drag me thru court and make me pay as much money as possible to get even for leaving him. I left him because he was a drunk and never home. I will await someones reply back. Thanks, P......

My response:

The property is your separate property. That's it.

Tell him you'll sell the property, alright. To someone else, and to use all the money, if need be, to bury him alive !

DO NOT give in to blackmail or extortion.

IAAL

E

Elliotg

Generally, Florida law requires that the spouse that can best afford to pay be responsible for the costs of retaining legal representation. The spouse with the lower financial resources is sometimes required to pay a pro rata portion of her attorney fees, with the other spouse being held responsible for the remainder. More often, the spouse with the greater financial resources is made to pay all of the other's attorney fee. Do not assume that you can not afford an attorney.

You should schedule a formal consultation with a lawyer. A good means of obtaining an attorney referral is by contacting your State's bar association or your local county bar association. They probably have a web site and charge a nominal fee for the referral. Most attorneys either provide a free initial consultation, or charge a nominal fee.

Good Luck, Elliot Jay Goldstein (Attorney with offices in Tampa and St. Petersburg - Feel free to contact me directly by sending an e-mail via clicking on my profile tab)

The above information is provided as a courtesy, without any consideration and without knowledge of the specific facts. Do not rely on this information. Seek a formal consultation with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">