• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is going against final judgment considered contempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickapoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have a final judgment from my divorce approximately 8 months ago that states that neither spouse shall say anything disparaging about each other in the presence of our child. Then it goes on to say, "neither party shall say anything disparaging or negative towards the other party".

My ex-husband has sent me emails that are very stressful. He uses name calling, makes accusations, and in general makes very negative remarks, and some are quite hateful. I have never written such an email to him. We do not speak on the phone, our divorce was contested so we only communicate via email.

Does the fact that he is doing this, and that the judgment states he shall not say anything negative to me or disparage me, do I have any sort of recourse? Would this qualify as being in contempt seeing as he is not abiding by the judge's orders?

Thank you.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The key is "is he saying these disparaging remarks to the child."

I get those love notes too. File 'em away and use them with other things. It is a very difficult thing not to react to those types of emails, but breathe deep - slowly - and let it go. If you keep reacting to those emails, they will keep coming. Judge don't like it when the parents come in front of them and say, "he said mean things to me. make him stop." There has to be more than that.

Follow the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">