• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going back after the fact!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcusman

State = Massachusetts

Hypothetical situation:

A woman and her husband go through their divorce proceedings and everything has been finalized for nearly five years.

The woman finds it interesting that her ex-husband has not been working for the past year or so, and yet he seems financially set. She then starts to wonder if he hid money that her former attorney did not search for.

Here's the question:

If she managed to get proof that her ex had money hidden in an account that was not divulged during the divorce, can she bring him back to court over it?

Thanks!

MM

LdiJ

marcusman said:
State = Massachusetts

Hypothetical situation:

A woman and her husband go through their divorce proceedings and everything has been finalized for nearly five years.

The woman finds it interesting that her ex-husband has not been working for the past year or so, and yet he seems financially set. She then starts to wonder if he hid money that her former attorney did not search for.

Here's the question:

If she managed to get proof that her ex had money hidden in an account that was not divulged during the divorce, can she bring him back to court over it?

Thanks!

MM
Its probably too late for that. Even if it weren't, proving your possible theory would be tough. Alot can change in 5 years.

AHA

marcusman said:
State = Massachusetts

Hypothetical situation:

Here's the question:

Thanks!

MM

Hypothetical answer:

Divorce means you go on with your own lives and not bug each other for money after several years. What ever happened to taking responsibility for supporting yourself?? I know working isn't always fun, but for God sake, 5 YEARS after everything was finalized!!!!!!!!!!! Get a job!!!!

marcusman

Ouch, ouch, ouch...

Well, before we all pass judgement here, let me fill you in on the reality.

First of all, this is not my situation, but that of someone whom I just started dating. Secondly, she is simply someone who was abused in numerous ways and was never allowed to even see other people. It's amazing that she even made it out alive.

In talking to her about it the other day, she was thinking out loud that it was odd her ex could sustain himself for the past 18 months without working at all. When I started to probe to see what types of resources that he had, it became apparent (at least to me anyway) that this guy had been stashing money away from square one. On the other hand, I doubt if he was smart enough NOT to put it into a bank.

The reason why I think it is provable is because she has his SSN #, DOB, etc. and if he deposited it into a bank, then it's traceable. The bottom line is that if that's the case, it's fraud and it were to be proven, then I would like to know if there is precedent for being able to go after it. Is there a statute of limitations?

As far as "AHA's" comment goes, buddy, you're probably the type of guy that would be looking into it ten years after the fact if it was you who got screwed.

"Ldij," you raise a GREAT question. Again, this guy was not the smartest person in the world, in which case it would be tax evasion. As I understand it here in Mass., they just made it so that there is NO statute of limitations on that piece, but I'm wondering about her recouping the other half of what was possibly in this hypothetical account.

All serious/pertinent responses appreciated!

MM

AHA

marcusman said:
Ouch, ouch, ouch...
As far as "AHA's" comment goes, buddy, you're probably the type of guy that would be looking into it ten years after the fact if it was you who got screwed.

Ouch ouch right back at you. You are the one who lied claiming this was a hypothetical question, but more to the point, I'd rather eat my arm than to be a guy, so your skills in making assumptions needs major improvement.

Second of all, I'm not the one who stayed in a sh*tty marriage and 5 years after the divorce now wants more money from the ex. Fair enough, that if he was hiding them that should be brought out in the open, but that is not YOUR job or place to do.
If he was so abusive to her, why does she want to get involved in another battle with him? Don't you think that after having "survived", she'd be better off never dealing with him ever again?

I'm well into adulthood and have managed to not get screwed by the anyone (at least not in the bad way), so I won't have a reason to be bitter 10 years down the line. I watch my back and trust my instincts to make sure of that.

Bali Hai

AHA said:
Second of all, I'm not the one who stayed in a sh*tty marriage and 5 years after the divorce now wants more money from the ex. Fair enough, that if he was hiding them that should be brought out in the open, but that is not YOUR job or place to do.
If he was so abusive to her, why does she want to get involved in another battle with him? Don't you think that after having "survived", she'd be better off never dealing with him ever again?
sounds like he's wanting that money (if any was hidden and I doubt there was) to help her spend it.

You have a job pal? If I were her ex and found out you were out to rob me, you'd be spending some time in the E/R. When you stick your nose in where it doesn't belong, expect it to get broke.

Why the h*ll is she keeping tabs on him after 5 years divorced? Turn the soap operas off, get a life and get a job!!

AHA

Bali Hai said:
sounds like he's wanting that money (if any was hidden and I doubt there was) to help her spend it.

You have a job pal? If I were her ex and found out you were out to rob me, you'd be spending some time in the E/R. When you stick your nose in where it doesn't belong, expect it to get broke.

Why the h*ll is she keeping tabs on him after 5 years divorced? Turn the soap operas off, get a life and get a job!!
I'm not the OP, so you should direct your comments to the right person.

dallas702

It's not tax evasion if he stashed after-tax money, meaning he WORKED for it and SAVED it, or it was actually non-taxable income. If**************..., "IF" he had the money at the time of the divorce he should have revealed it to the court for proper division, but you don't know if it was his money from before they were married, or money from inheritance, or money from an insurance settlement, or......

You only know what your GF is telling you, and that's only HALF the story. The fact that she is even wondering how or why her ex is doing ok financially should be a big red flag to you. The fact that she is trying to figure out a way to get more from him 5 years after the divorce should be another big flag. Sleep with one eye open, MM.

Last edited:

marcusman

Ugh...geez louise...how hard can it be to get a straight answer here?

Let me deal with AHA, first...all I can say bud is go eat your arm anyway since you have nothing better to do obviously. I made the assumption you were male because females typically have more class than you have demonstrated thus far. The more you write, the more I'm getting the impression that you're something in-between, so please find another thread to post on where your opinion is asked for.

Bali Hai, it took both me and the classless she-male a minute to figure out who you were even writing to because your linguistic skills are so poor, so go back and finish school before you bother making further empty cyber threats.

Dallas702, thanks for one of the few relevant responses to my query. The guy ran a construction operation and did a lot of it in cash, so it is a possible avenue to pursue if necessary. As far as why she's after the money now, she's actually not. As previously mentioned, she was thinking out loud and I was the one who then wondered if she could pursue it further when it seemed apparent to me that he pulled a fast one. Also, the bank records would show whether or not he had those funds during their marriage or whether it he came into them afterwards. I know it makes one wonder why you would want to dig up old bones, but you really have to hear the full story to have it all make sense; something I wouldn't waste time doing since it's not cognate to getting the answer I'm after.

For anyone else who feels that they can offer an educated opinion to my original question without the personal sentiments, it would be appreciated. The sooner the better since I have a feeling that the resident she-male and his/her 5th grade educated partner will cause this thread to devolve quickly.

Thanks!

~MM

Bali Hai

marcusman said:
Ugh...geez louise...how hard can it be to get a straight answer here?

Let me deal with AHA, first...all I can say bud is go eat your arm anyway since you have nothing better to do obviously. I made the assumption you were male because females typically have more class than you have demonstrated thus far. The more you write, the more I'm getting the impression that you're something in-between, so please find another thread to post on where your opinion is asked for.

Bali Hai, it took both me and the classless she-male a minute to figure out who you were even writing to because your linguistic skills are so poor, so go back and finish school before you bother making further empty cyber threats.

Dallas702, thanks for one of the few relevant responses to my query. The guy ran a construction operation and did a lot of it in cash, so it is a possible avenue to pursue if necessary. As far as why she's after the money now, she's actually not. As previously mentioned, she was thinking out loud and I was the one who then wondered if she could pursue it further when it seemed apparent to me that he pulled a fast one. Also, the bank records would show whether or not he had those funds during their marriage or whether it he came into them afterwards. I know it makes one wonder why you would want to dig up old bones, but you really have to hear the full story to have it all make sense; something I wouldn't waste time doing since it's not cognate to getting the answer I'm after.

For anyone else who feels that they can offer an educated opinion to my original question without the personal sentiments, it would be appreciated. The sooner the better since I have a feeling that the resident she-male and his/her 5th grade educated partner will cause this thread to devolve quickly.

Thanks!

~MM
Nobody here is going to help you/her gouge money out of her ex after 5 years divorced. It's none of your business.

Now, get a job or find some other site willing to help with your SCAM to "make a living".

dallas702

MM;

It's probably one of those things far better left dead and buried, lest digging it up will make it stink for everyone. ;)

AHA

marcusman said:
Your weak threats have absolutely ZERO effect on me. Last time I checked you didn't own the internet, I can post whatever the hell I want, JUST LIKE YOU!!!!!!!
Let your gf squeeze cash out of her ex hubby from 5 years ago and get your own life.
Women have more class than men, obviously not YOUR woman since she is demanding cash from someone she's been divorced from for 5 years. Or more likely YOU are demanding cash from her ex.
Good luck with finding a sugar daddy for ourself.

BelizeBreeze

marcusman said:

Thanks!

~MM
You received your answer already. We don't do homework. PERIOD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">