• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going Back to Court ... Which County

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hryderiii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We got divorced in South Florida.

The ex says I breached the settlement agreement. I say she breached the settlement agreement.

We now live 400 miles away from the court in north Florida. We both happen to live in the same county.

Question: Do we have to go back to the original court in south Florida? Can we request a change of venue? How?

Thank you

mistoffolees

The ex says I breached the settlement agreement. I say she breached the settlement agreement.

We now live 400 miles away from the court in north Florida. We both happen to live in the same county.

Question: Do we have to go back to the original court in south Florida? Can we request a change of venue? How?

Thank you
Think really hard about this. If you're both saying that the other one breached the agreement, then there are arguments on both sides - and you may end up with an expensive legal battle to find yourself no better off than you are now.

You might consider a mediator to help you resolve the issues without going back to court unless there's a huge amount of money involved.

LdiJ

Thank you
You might tell us what your disputes are, and we may be able to give you some direction.

hryderiii

Hi

The settlement agreement says I will pay 1/2 of the 2nd mortgage.
It also says she has 2 years to refi or sell the house.
She only refi's the 1st mortgage and not the 2nd mortgage.
After 2 years I stopped sending her money.
She finally sells the house 6 years after the divorce. She says I owe her money.

Thanks

LdiJ

Hi

She finally sells the house 6 years after the divorce. She says I owe her money.

Thanks
I would get out your divorce decree and go get a consult with an attorney before taking any further steps. Depending on how the decree was worded, she could be right or you could be right.

I also don't know how she could have refi'd a first mortgage without rolling the second mortgage into the new mortgage. That shouldn't technically be possible.

mistoffolees

Hi

Thanks
The thing you have to keep in mind is that in a divorce decree, you have to do exactly what the decree says. You have no right to ignore your responsibilities just because the other person ignored theirs.

So, your ex was in contempt for not refinancing. However, she eventually did so, so it comes down to what your damages were. Since you stopped sending her money, you did not spend excess money. Did you receive the share of the home proceeds that were dictated by the decree?

Looks like you were both in contempt. Depending on whether you received the money you were supposed to receive according to the decree, you may or may not have damages. OTOH, if you were ordered to pay 1/2 of the mortgage until refinanced, then she can easily claim damages from you.

Compounding it all, there's the question of why neither of you took action 4 years ago. While the statue of limitations is different for family matters, a judge is not likely to be too concerned if neither of you cared enough to do anything 4 years ago.

Basically, this is a case where your cost will probably exceed the benefit if you go to court. Again, I'd suggest that you hire a neutral financial expert to figure the damages due to either party based on the decree and settle it.

hryderiii

Hi

The 2nd mortgage agreed to hold a "second position" according to the ex.

The ex pocketed all the equity aprox $200K.

She is pushing to go to court to collect $4,000.00. I want to let it go.

Thanks for your help.

mistoffolees

Hi

The 2nd mortgage agreed to hold a "second position" according to the ex.

The ex pocketed all the equity aprox $200K.

She is pushing to go to court to collect $4,000.00. I want to let it go.

Thanks for your help.
If you want to let it go, why are you bothering? If the ex wants to go to another state to file a claim, THEN you take action. They're probably bluffing.

hryderiii

Hi

She took me to Small Claims court this week and the Judge said he had no say in divorce matters and for her to go back to Divorce court (400 miles away). The SC case was dismissed. She spent $337.00 and is POed.

I think she will find she will have to hire a lawyer ... so she will drop it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

hryderiii

Hi

Thank you Gracie.

Update:

I paid a lawyer $100 to look at the Settlement Agreement. He said "it's terrible...it's ambiguous...if the judge reads the Agreement he will think the same thing.

The lawyer couldn't guess the outcome.

Waiting now to see if the ex will pursue the matter.

Harry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">