• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going for blood, she should have listened?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

demigod

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NO.CALIF.

My wife and I are in the prelimanary stage of preparing for our divorce. Currently we are seperating our assets like respectful adults that we are? I am using the tried and true, always successful method of 50% for her, 50% for me. Guess what? we have a problem Houston. I forgot that maybe she didn't want me to enjoy my 50% of he OUR 401K, imagine that? so I kindly brought it to her attention and also let her know it's so much easier to be a nice human. She stated "Oh!, I forgot about the $49,000 in my 401k account, again, imagine that? How do I get proof that this 401K account exists, because I know it does. when I cordially ask my wife for the 401k statement she replies I don't have any records of this account in which Nordstroms has so graciously been depositing money into each month. I have asked Nordstrom for this record and have been told "NO"do not have to give you the confidential information that pertains to this account. Step two, Can I get access to this account? what are other avenue I need to pursue?
Thanks! by the way, this is a little in left field but I feel it's appropriate in this case. I learned a valuable lesson in life from my Father many moons ago it goes like this,
" Never **** in your own mess kit" I just want to be the Nice guy, thats all. ;) Gee! Golly!can I get an "oogalee googalee"Good neighbor :D Seriously, forgive the nonsense, it's the only thing that keeps me sane? :eek:
Thanks a Million! I respect your time. Demigod- OUT.

LdiJ

demigod said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NO.CALIF.

My wife and I are in the prelimanary stage of preparing for our divorce. Currently we are seperating our assets like respectful adults that we are? I am using the tried and true, always successful method of 50% for her, 50% for me. Guess what? we have a problem Houston. I forgot that maybe she didn't want me to enjoy my 50% of he OUR 401K, imagine that? so I kindly brought it to her attention and also let her know it's so much easier to be a nice human. She stated "Oh!, I forgot about the $49,000 in my 401k account, again, imagine that? How do I get proof that this 401K account exists, because I know it does. when I cordially ask my wife for the 401k statement she replies I don't have any records of this account in which Nordstroms has so graciously been depositing money into each month. I have asked Nordstrom for this record and have been told "NO"do not have to give you the confidential information that pertains to this account. Step two, Can I get access to this account? what are other avenue I need to pursue?
Thanks! by the way, this is a little in left field but I feel it's appropriate in this case. I learned a valuable lesson in life from my Father many moons ago it goes like this,
" Never **** in your own mess kit" I just want to be the Nice guy, thats all. ;) Gee! Golly!can I get an "oogalee googalee"Good neighbor :D Seriously, forgive the nonsense, it's the only thing that keeps me sane? :eek:
Thanks a Million! I respect your time. Demigod- OUT.
You simply tell your wife that you both can save alot of money in high attorney fees and do this fairly....or that you can both spend a ton of money on attorneys and end up with the exact same results....50/50...including the 401k. In fact, you can tell her that she could easily end up spending the majority of her share of the 401k in attorney fees if the two of you end up having to do things the hard way.

However.....you are only entitled to 50% of the amount of the account that accrued during the marriage. So whatever was in that account prior to the marriage is hers.....and of course she is entitled to half of your 401k or IRA as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">