• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going through a divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judgebrown

What is the name of your state?

I think if you get a divorce you should get to keep retirementthat is in your own name. Does anyone disagree with me on this???
Many people going through a divorce do not think rational and just try to hurt the other person which is why I think it is good to talk about divorce beforehand when you are in the right frame of mind and thinking rationally.

stephenk

still single? have you worked up enough nerve to ask your girlfriend for a prenuptial agreement? Once you get past that point, then you can start giving opinions on how couples should deal with divorce and retirement benefits.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Depends entirely on the circumstances - life's not as black & white as you seem to think.

J

judgebrown

Momma tiger

momma tiger, Do u see where I am coming from though and why I would consider getting a prenup?

U

upinNC

In my experience (with NC divorce) the spouse only has a right to half of the pension/retirement benefits on divorce if they have been married over 10 years...

So if you don't think you are in it for the long haul why even contemplate marriage? What ever happened to "until death do us part"...

H

hexeliebe

I think it is good to talk about divorce beforehand when you are in the right frame of mind and thinking rationally.
So you're telling me LOVE, as opposed to divorce, is a rational state of mind? You're basing your discussion on a falacy that just doesn't exist.

The sheer nature of love is irrational. So discussing a pre-nuptial agreement in this frame of mind doesn't make sense either.

What you're talking about is a contract, much like marriage. Either ask for the pre-nup or not. That's up to you. But, as a single man I find the whole idea repugnant.

Divorce is inevitable if you plan for it. Love is inevitable if you are open to it. But then, hiccups are also inevitable if you eat three Jalepeno peppers in a row right off the vine....

By the way Judge, you should know what's fair and what's the law don't always meet on the same road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">