• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going through divorce, wife won't give up personal belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dj-geza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm in month 8 of a six month divorce. Not living at the house. Wife has full use of the house due to a false accusation protective order. My lawyer has given me ZERO help or guidance on how to come out on top or which direction to go. 80% of my belongings are still in the house and wife refuses to give it up cause she states that it is all marital property. I do understand that marital property should be split up between us but i'm talking about my personal items (before the marriage). In one month i'm moving to san diego as the military is relocating me, so i will not be living in virginia. The court is still ordering me to pay mortgage and all bills associated with the house. From my point of view, my soon to be ex wife has no intentions of moving of any time soon just to jab the knife deeper. Basically , she's trying to take me for all i'm worth, as long as she can. I just want to be done with her and move on with my life.

Any advice anyone can send me in my matter would be grately appreciated.

Also I just wanted to know what legal rights I have with the house and I also want to know what legal rights i have with retrieving my personal property (non-marital assets).

Thank you so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm in month 8 of a six month divorce. Not living at the house. Wife has full use of the house due to a false accusation protective order. My lawyer has given me ZERO help or guidance on how to come out on top or which direction to go. 80% of my belongings are still in the house and wife refuses to give it up cause she states that it is all marital property. I do understand that marital property should be split up between us but i'm talking about my personal items (before the marriage). In one month i'm moving to san diego as the military is relocating me, so i will not be living in virginia. The court is still ordering me to pay mortgage and all bills associated with the house. From my point of view, my soon to be ex wife has no intentions of moving of any time soon just to jab the knife deeper. Basically , she's trying to take me for all i'm worth, as long as she can. I just want to be done with her and move on with my life.

Any advice anyone can send me in my matter would be grately appreciated.

Also I just wanted to know what legal rights I have with the house and I also want to know what legal rights i have with retrieving my personal property (non-marital assets).

Thank you so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If there is a protective order in place, then you need your attorney's help in arranging for the retrieval of your personal property. You need to light a fire under your attorney to get that done ASAP. Use your pending relocation as the "urgency".

mistoffolees

If there is a protective order in place, then you need your attorney's help in arranging for the retrieval of your personal property. You need to light a fire under your attorney to get that done ASAP. Use your pending relocation as the "urgency".
And if the attorney won't do anything, ask for the retainer back and get a different attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">