• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going Thru Divorce can Spouse Cancel Car Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LBC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
Can Spouse take me off car insurance in the middle of current policy without notice. My soon to be ex pulled this on me Friday evening saying I no longer had car insurance as of 12 am Sunday 3-1-09.

Thanks in advance from CaliforniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
Can Spouse take me off car insurance in the middle of current policy without notice. My soon to be ex pulled this on me Friday evening saying I no longer had car insurance as of 12 am Sunday 3-1-09.

Thanks in advance from CaliforniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Technically no, your ex probably is not supposed to do that. Call the agent yourself on Monday to confirm that he did that...that he wasn't BSing you.

However, in the long run its probably better to just get yourself insured separately. You will have to anyway in the long term.

desk girl

can spouse cancel car insurance

I was afraid of this, too, so I called my company and told them about his threat and about the pending divorce. They assured me he could not take me off without my permission. Then the very nice lady said to me, "Let's see what we can do to get you your own..." I now have my own vehicle with my own policy, and it's BETTER than the one that we had before! You go for it, because, yes you will eventually be on your own, so why not start now. From now on when I have a situation similar to the insurance thing, the first thing I tell the person on the phone is "i'm going through a divorce", and they bend over backwards to help me. It's worked with cell phone, regular phone, TV cable. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">