• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got divorce papers in the mail....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pache253

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband of five years (next month) got mad one day and said he was going to file for a divorce. I figured he got over it but I was wrong. However, today I received divorce papers in the mail from his lawyer and they've already been filed in the courts. It was my understanding that out of respect for both parties his lawyer would have had me served before hand. Am I wrong? Also, I can't afford a lawyer and he knows it, I'm unemployed and he gives me no money so I'm in a rut and these papers say nothing about my getting anythng at all. If I don't sign them what will happen?

pache253 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband of five years (next month) got mad one day and said he was going to file for a divorce. I figured he got over it but I was wrong. However, today I received divorce papers in the mail from his lawyer and they've already been filed in the courts. It was my understanding that out of respect for both parties his lawyer would have had me served before hand. Am I wrong? Also, I can't afford a lawyer and he knows it, I'm unemployed and he gives me no money so I'm in a rut and these papers say nothing about my getting anythng at all. If I don't sign them what will happen?
He can still get a divorce without your signature. Signature is only necessary if your husband and you agreed on everything without having judge to decide what to do, at least I think so. And if you cannot afford a lawyer, try out legal aid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">