• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got my papers today and....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g33k

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My papers say:

======
======

COMES NOW Petitioner and for his cause of action alleges and states as follows:

1. Petitioner is now an actual resident of [County Name], Kansas, and has been an actual resident of Kansas for more than sixty (60) days immediately preceding the filing of this Petition.

2. That Respondent is a resident fo [County Name], Kansas, and may be served with process at [my address].

3. The Petitioner and Respondent were married on July 16, 2001, and are now husband and wife.

4. That Petitioner and Respondent have no minor children.

5. That Petitioner and Respondent are incompatible.

6. That Petitioner and Respondent own property.

WHEREFORE, Petitioner prays the marriage be dissolved; that he recover his attorney's fees and costs; and the Court make an equitable division of the parties' propery, and grant such other relief as it deems to be fair, just and equitable.

======
======

First, the date listed is wrong. We were married July 14, not July 16.

Secondly, we don't own property. The only things to be divided are small things, like pots/pans, and knick-knacks. We don't have any land, house, etc. My car has both our names on it, (says AND/OR) and he said he would mail me the car title tomorrow so I can get it changed to just my name.

Third, the biggest part of it, is that it's saying I'll have to pay his fees. Which he told me time and again he was going to take care of. After I got this, I called him and he said his lawyer put it in there as some sort of legal requirement or something, like if the courts would for some reason decide I should pay for everything... but it REALLY doesn't sound right to me.

He said he was filing a no-fault divorce, does this sound like no-fault papers?

I can't afford a lawyer really. I'm a college student and only work part time. He makes about 3 times as much as I do. Someone told me that my college may have free legal services, which I'm checking into (I emailed my school psychologist this morning, but haven't gotten a reply back yet).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Some Random Guy

Talk to a lawyer. It sounds like his lawyer will try to slip things by you since you are not as familiar with the process.

Especially the part about "That Petitioner and Respondent own property.". Check the county registrars offices in the county he lives in, surrounding counties, and where his parents live. He may own land that you do not know about.

You also mention a car in both your names - is it fully paid for? Your divorce should clearly say who owes any debt on the vehicle.

g33k

I will check on the property thing. The car isn't fully paid for, but I've been paying everything on it (car payment/insurance) since I moved out over a year ago.

g33k

Well, I'm going to talk to legal aid tomorrow to see if they can help. If not, my parents know a lawyer that takes care of all our farm partnership agreements and such, they said they can get me the info the contact him.

Grrr..... this could have been so simple. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">