• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents possible separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katie1370

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North/South Carolina

My grandparents live in North Carolina and my grandmother has Alzheimer's. It looks and sounds like they may get a separation. My grandmother would move down and live with us in South Carolina. Would my grandfather be required to keep health insurance coverage for my grandmother?

Bali Hai

My grandparents live in North Carolina and my grandmother has Alzheimer's. It looks and sounds like they may get a separation. My grandmother would move down and live with us in South Carolina. Would my grandfather be required to keep health insurance coverage for my grandmother?
If grampy can't pay, look for a different horse in the mouth.

Last edited:

candg918

How old is your grandmother? Is she on Medicare? Do they receive Social Security? Is she still considered competent to make binding decisions?

mistoffolees

It is common for one spouse to be required to keep insurance while the divorce is pending. It is very difficult for someone to keep an ex on their group insurance after a divorce, so it is not ordered very often.

Legal separation is different - and many people choose separation rather than divorce solely for purposes of keeping one spouse on the insurance. It IS possible for one spouse to be ordered to keep the other one on their insurance policy for some period of time. It will depend on how long they are married, how old they are (is Medicare available, etc), and so on.

A possible scenario would be for the husband to keep the wife on his insurance until she is old enough to be covered by Medicare. Whether that is practical depends on circumstances - and you didn't provide enough details to be sure.

katie1370

Answers to some of your questions

My grandmother is 76 years old and yes she is on Medicare. They have been married for 60 years. Yes, she is getting Social Security. It is a very small amount, wouldn't even cover the cost of all of her medications.

Of course, the one thing that I didn't mention is that my grandfather has already threatened that he'll put her on the ground and his foot on her chest if necessary to keep her from getting aggitated and violent. Definitely not happy with that.

Any thoughts on how my Mom and I can get her out of there but have her still covered with insurance? I know that I mentioned Medicare, and she has a secondary.

Thanks for any help.

mistoffolees

My grandmother is 76 years old and yes she is on Medicare. They have been married for 60 years. Yes, she is getting Social Security. It is a very small amount, wouldn't even cover the cost of all of her medications.

Of course, the one thing that I didn't mention is that my grandfather has already threatened that he'll put her on the ground and his foot on her chest if necessary to keep her from getting aggitated and violent. Definitely not happy with that.

Any thoughts on how my Mom and I can get her out of there but have her still covered with insurance? I know that I mentioned Medicare, and she has a secondary.

Thanks for any help.
She can file for divorce and ask for alimony sufficient to cover her medical expenses (if their situation is consistent with him paying her alimony). Or she can pay her medical expenses out of their property division. Or she can ask family to pay the excess. Or she can pay for the secondary medical out of her Social Security.

None of those require her husband to keep her on his policy. Since it's presumably not a work-related group plan at their age, that may not be an issue.

As for the threats, if there is credible evidence of a threat, she can ask the court for a restraining order.

Bali Hai

She can file for divorce and ask for alimony sufficient to cover her medical expenses (if their situation is consistent with him paying her alimony). Or she can pay her medical expenses out of their property division. Or she can ask family to pay the excess. Or she can pay for the secondary medical out of her Social Security.

None of those require her husband to keep her on his policy. Since it's presumably not a work-related group plan at their age, that may not be an issue.

As for the threats, if there is credible evidence of a threat, she can ask the court for a restraining order.
Can someone ask the court for a restraining order against themselves??

The wife is clearly violent.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">