• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for Annullment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IOERROR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA.

I just found out 2 weeks ago my wife of 1 year (girlfriend for 5) lied about her job status. Since the day I meet her she told me, my family and friends she was an RN. I went into the marriage with the understand that my partner had the capacity to make the same or near my salary. Her lack of income has put a huge burden on out life styles and relationship. Before the marriage I asked her to quit her job and find one willing to pay her the salary and RN should get. She told me after the wedding she would look for a new job. At the same time we were getting married I purchased a house with the understand we would all live there (she has two kids also whom I love dearly) but she would help with the costs of the house. Since we have moved in there has been money issues which is a major cause of out separation. Two weeks ago I found out she is not an RN.

Is this grounds for an annulment based on fraud? She lied to me for 6 years. All that time I had a mental image of what out lives would be like and have financially burdened myself with the expectations that my wife was capable of making more money. The results of the lies have cause us to become bitter and ended with us separating. I feel now like I was nothing more then a back account for her. That subject has come up multiple times in our relationship. She has since said she is going after me for spousal support. Given the reasons for the separation I don't feel she deserves any.

So my question still stands. Is this grounds for an annulment based on fraud?

IOERROR

Q: Is this grounds for an annulment based on fraud?

A: No.
I thought the whole idea of fraud is based of a deception that effects the marriage? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering why would this instance not be a legal reason for an annulment.

Perky

This is the statute:

http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/domestic-relations/00.033.005.000.html

(5) Where one party was induced to enter into the
marriage due to fraud,
duress, coercion or force attributable
to the other party and there has been no subsequent voluntary
cohabitation after knowledge of the fraud or release from the
effects of fraud, duress, coercion or force.
Did your wife claim to be an RN in order to induce you to marry her? It doesn't sound like it, so the fraud does not meet the qualifications for annulment.

(ETA: Dang... too slow again!)

Last edited:

mistoffolees

This is the statute:

Did your wife claim to be an RN in order to induce you to marry her? It doesn't sound like it, so the fraud does not meet the qualifications for annulment.

I suspect that even if the wife claimed to be an RN that would not be sufficient.

A more plausible fraud argument would be if she falsely claimed that she was an heiress to a huge fortune and could only collect if she was married. I'm not sure even that would do it, though.

IOERROR

This is the statute:

I guess that would be open to interpretation (which would be a problem in court). Would I have married my wife if I knew she lied to me about being an RN? I doubt it. The lie would be part of the reason but the other is the expectation of our life styles. I would not have gone into a marriage knowing there would be money issues all the time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I guess that would be open to interpretation (which would be a problem in court). Would I have married my wife if I knew she lied to me about being an RN? I doubt it. The lie would be part of the reason but the other is the expectation of our life styles. I would not have gone into a marriage knowing there would be money issues all the time.
The whole "For richer, for poorer" part of the service -- you didn't pay attention to it, did you? Or did you delete that and any reference to bad times?

IOERROR

The whole "For richer, for poorer" part of the service -- you didn't pay attention to it, did you? Or did you delete that and any reference to bad times?
Yeah I remember that part. It went something like "For richer, for poorer regardless if you lied and we purchase a house we can barely afford cause your paychecks are too small."

It's funny how someone could blatantly lie to someone and people will still defend them. No doubt it's a woman thing.

Thanks for the help though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you have someone who says they love you, look you in the eye and lie to your face for SIX years then you can judge me.
She didn't work as an RN for 6 years. Any license she may have had would not have been current anyway.

You have no case for an annulment. Get a divorce.

IOERROR

She didn't work as an RN for 6 years. Any license she may have had would not have been current anyway.

You have no case for an annulment. Get a divorce.
No she was NEVER an RN but she has been working telling me she was working as an RN just at a bad paying job. She said after we got married she would get a new job that paid better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">