• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for an annulment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zahrah

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I've been married for a year now and before marrying him he assured me that he could have children and that the reason for him not having children in his 2 previous were the women's health issues. He even told me he had a sperm analysis and everything was fine. A few months later I found out he did have a sperm analysis but not since 1997. So, when he finally agreed to have another one done we found out that his count is very low, slow sperm mobility, and even an increase in abnormal shape ones. Which later I found out that the reason for his infertility is a 13 year long cocaine addiction that he's been free of for only 2 years before marrying me. Is this grounds for an annulment based on faud?

LdiJ

Zahrah said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I've been married for a year now and before marrying him he assured me that he could have children and that the reason for him not having children in his 2 previous were the women's health issues. He even told me he had a sperm analysis and everything was fine. A few months later I found out he did have a sperm analysis but not since 1997. So, when he finally agreed to have another one done we found out that his count is very low, slow sperm mobility, and even an increase in abnormal shape ones. Which later I found out that the reason for his infertility is a 13 year long cocaine addiction that he's been free of for only 2 years before marrying me. Is this grounds for an annulment based on faud?
Ohiogal will probably be along soon to answer the specifics on grounds for annulment. However, in general annulments are usually more costly and time consuming than a divorce. Therefore, unless you have some specific reason why an annulment is important to you, it may simply be easier to just get a divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. What you have described is not fraud. He had had a sperm analysis which showed that everything was fine. Can you prove that he KNEW he was infertile? Can you prove that he purposely deceived you so that you would marry him?
I do not think you can. He may not have told you about his cocaine addiction but he was clean for over two years before marrying you.
Many couples get married and later find out that one or both of the parties have fertility issues even when neither thought they did. That is not fraud. It is bad luck. And the couples can deal with it or not. If children are that important to you, there is adoption and fertility treatments that can be utilized.
If you don't want to attempt any of those and you don't really love your husband, divorce him. But what you have described is NOT fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">