• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKBT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

WE WERE MARRIED IN MAY, 2007 AND LATER FOUND OUT THERE IS A SUBSTANTIAL FEDERAL TAX DEBT PRIOR TO THE MARRIAGE THAT I WAS UNAWARE OF. 3 QUESTIONS:

1. AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT DEBT AS WELL?

2. IF SO, WOULD THIS FALL UNDER THE FRAUD CATEGORY FOR ANNULLMENT?

3. OR IS THEIR ANY SORT OF LEGAL DOCUMENT WE CAN SIGN TO PROTECT ASSETS ACQUIRED UNDER MY NAME AS I MAKE A GOOD ANNUAL INCOME?

PLEASE RESPOND

THANK YOU

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

WE WERE MARRIED IN MAY, 2007 AND LATER FOUND OUT THERE IS A SUBSTANTIAL FEDERAL TAX DEBT PRIOR TO THE MARRIAGE THAT I WAS UNAWARE OF. 3 QUESTIONS:

1. AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT DEBT AS WELL?

2. IF SO, WOULD THIS FALL UNDER THE FRAUD CATEGORY FOR ANNULLMENT?

3. OR IS THEIR ANY SORT OF LEGAL DOCUMENT WE CAN SIGN TO PROTECT ASSETS ACQUIRED UNDER MY NAME AS I MAKE A GOOD ANNUAL INCOME?

PLEASE RESPOND

THANK YOU
CA is a community property state and therefore the IRS has greater power to levy assets in the name of a spouse. However, in practice the IRS usually does not attempt to do so.

You are not legally responsible for his debt...the only issue is that his share of any marital assets could technically be levied for his debt.

Any premarital debts would be totally safe, because the IRS could not touch those.

Keep your financial lives totally separate and odds are the IRS will never attempt to levy your assets.

How "substantial" is the debt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">