• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for Anullment? (Texas)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charlcie

I've been married just short of 6 months. I found out a couple of weeks ago, my husband had been gambling away our funds on a regular basis; i.e, before work, during lunch, etc. He admitted the problem to me and gave me the check book and his bank card. That lasted about a week and a half. He snuck into my purse early in the morning and put us $225 in the hole in our bank account. I was actually seeing his gambling withdrawals when I went to check on our bank account online.

He has said he will get help, but since then I found he owes money to the IRS (he won't tell me how much). I don't want to get drawn down the hole with him.

Does this qualify as grounds for anullment?

mistoffolees

I've been married just short of 6 months. I found out a couple of weeks ago, my husband had been gambling away our funds on a regular basis; i.e, before work, during lunch, etc. He admitted the problem to me and gave me the check book and his bank card. That lasted about a week and a half. He snuck into my purse early in the morning and put us $225 in the hole in our bank account. I was actually seeing his gambling withdrawals when I went to check on our bank account online.

He has said he will get help, but since then I found he owes money to the IRS (he won't tell me how much). I don't want to get drawn down the hole with him.

Does this qualify as grounds for anullment?
No.
Texas Annulment

You may wish to say that your grounds would be fraud, but you have continued to live with him since discovering his gambling, so that eliminates that as an option.

If you can't get him to stop his gambling, you'll need to get a divorce.

LdiJ

No.
Texas Annulment

You may wish to say that your grounds would be fraud, but you have continued to live with him since discovering his gambling, so that eliminates that as an option.

If you can't get him to stop his gambling, you'll need to get a divorce.
In the meantime however, stop putting YOUR money in any joint accounts and hide the checkbook where he cannot find it.

Charlcie

Thank you for the info.

I have opened a separate bank account. I was concerned that a divorce might still leave me open to tax liability even though he incurred the tax debt well before I ever knew him. Sometimes the IRS operates under guidelines that many of us don't consider "fair".

LdiJ

Thank you for the info.

I have opened a separate bank account. I was concerned that a divorce might still leave me open to tax liability even though he incurred the tax debt well before I ever knew him. Sometimes the IRS operates under guidelines that many of us don't consider "fair".
As far as tax liability is concerned, yes, if you file a joint return the IRS will seize any joint refund towards any back taxes he might owe.

However, there are two ways to get around that...1) filing a separate return, but that generally tends to make your combined tax liability greater, or 2) filing a joint return with an injured spouse form, however that tends to make your refund take anywhere from 4-11 weeks to receive.

Now, if you believe that there is any chance that he will cause the two of you to owe any significant amount of tax on a joint return, then I would recommend filing separately. Should he not get the gambling under control, and you divorce, you don't want to be liable for any current tax debt that he ends up owing. (you will never be responsible for his past tax debt).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">