• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beefetr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Now that I finally have proof of my wifes adultry, my wife is willing to get a divorce. However, she would like me to file for a no-fault divorce so the details are not brought out in public. I don't particulary care as long as we are divorced, but now that I have proof, do I give anything up by not filing for an at fault divorce? There are no children and not much in the way of assets/debt to worry about. My state also has a seperation period for no-fault divorces, but she is willing to waive that.

20pilot

You have proof and she does not want you to go public with that. That gives you power. Agree to no-fault but on better terms than she would normally have agreed to.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Now that I finally have proof of my wifes adultry, my wife is willing to get a divorce. However, she would like me to file for a no-fault divorce so the details are not brought out in public. I don't particulary care as long as we are divorced, but now that I have proof, do I give anything up by not filing for an at fault divorce? There are no children and not much in the way of assets/debt to worry about. My state also has a seperation period for no-fault divorces, but she is willing to waive that.
If the state has a seperation period that is REQUIRED then neither of you can waive that. You are not giving up anything by filing for a no fault divorce. It may be a longer waiting period. The process will most likely take less time than fighting things out.

Perky

If the state has a seperation period that is REQUIRED then neither of you can waive that. You are not giving up anything by filing for a no fault divorce. It may be a longer waiting period. The process will most likely take less time than fighting things out.
In Illinois, if they both agree, then the 2 year separation period for no-fault can be waived in favor of the 6 month waiting period.

LdiJ

If you have no children, and few assets/debts, then you would be crazy to go any route other than no fault...particularly if you are both willing to waive the 2 year waiting period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">