• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cindy11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH I have recently ended a relationship in NH. We were not married but lived together for 4 years. A couple of years ago, I purchased a gun from a store in Maine. My boyfriend couldn't get approval when he appied, so I bought it. He has several other guns but couldn't get approval for this gun. He is Lebanese with a green card. Ex has the gun now and I am wondering what my liabilities are? Is it possible to turn any liabilities over to him as I don't want the gun. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH I have recently ended a relationship in NH. We were not married but lived together for 4 years. A couple of years ago, I purchased a gun from a store in Maine. My boyfriend couldn't get approval when he appied, so I bought it. He has several other guns but couldn't get approval for this gun. He is Lebanese with a green card. Ex has the gun now and I am wondering what my liabilities are? Is it possible to turn any liabilities over to him as I don't want the gun. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If it's registered to you, YOU need to have that gun.

redleg17

Offer to buy if from him, if you purchsed the gun for him and gave it to him, I wouldn't go the extra the route of filing a false report that it was "Stolen", seeing as you've already committed one crime....the purchase of a firearm from a FFL licensed dealer with the intent of transferring it to a person who could not legally purchase it themselves is a "straw purchase" and a Federal felony.

Last edited:

Cindy11

Gun Purchase

First. I didn't buy a gun for anyone. We bought it to refinish together. It was a winter project while living in NH in the winter. (a person needs to be creative, staying sane) I work away for long periods of time and it is something he can't live with and I respect. I am simply looking for some type of solution to desolve my liabilities.

LdiJ

First. I didn't buy a gun for anyone. We bought it to refinish together. It was a winter project while living in NH in the winter. (a person needs to be creative, staying sane) I work away for long periods of time and it is something he can't live with and I respect. I am simply looking for some type of solution to desolve my liabilities.
You have no choice but to take the gun away from him or report it stolen if he will not give it back to you. Its registered to you. It will be registered to you forever unless you officially sell it.

Tayla

Yes you did buy the gun for someone- Yourself. Thus making you the registered Owner.

Redleg is partially correct. "the purchase of a firearm from a FFL licensed dealer with the intent of transferring it to a person who could not legally purchase it themselves is a "straw purchase" and a Federal felony."

I do disagree with the concept of offering to buy back the gun you already have registered in your own name. Seems silly at best.

Basically its YOUR responsibility to have the gun secured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">