• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H4 Visa wife left Husband(H1 visa) in US who got married India

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rathanakar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California Resident:

I got married in India last year december and came back to US . My wife came to US in February 2011. We spent three months together and had few minor misunderstanding . she was makin ghtme big and one day she told she going to Chicago for her studies. Though I requested her she didnt stay and left me. I came to know she used me for her studies. We just spent three months ..

Now I decided to take divorce. Can I file divorce in US (CA) though I got married in India. Can she file case against me to sponsor her education expenses becuase she is on H4 ..

What are chances of getting divorce. Please suggest

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California Resident:

I got married in India last year december and came back to US . My wife came to US in February 2011. We spent three months together and had few minor misunderstanding . she was makin ghtme big and one day she told she going to Chicago for her studies. Though I requested her she didnt stay and left me. I came to know she used me for her studies. We just spent three months ..

Now I decided to take divorce. Can I file divorce in US (CA) though I got married in India. Can she file case against me to sponsor her education expenses becuase she is on H4 ..

What are chances of getting divorce. Please suggest
Yes, you can file for a divorce in CA. It's probably best if you speak with a local attorney.

Did you sign a form when she entered the country agreeing that you would support her? If so, you can be forced to support her indefinitely. I believe it would be an i-864 or I-134 form. If you signed a form like that, you will definitely need to see an attorney to see if you can get it voided due to fraud on her part, but it's not likely. You may be stuck supporting her.

LdiJ

Yes, you can file for a divorce in CA. It's probably best if you speak with a local attorney.

Did you sign a form when she entered the country agreeing that you would support her? If so, you can be forced to support her indefinitely. I believe it would be an i-864 or I-134 form. If you signed a form like that, you will definitely need to see an attorney to see if you can get it voided due to fraud on her part, but it's not likely. You may be stuck supporting her.
What I don't get is why he is assuming that she married him only to get to the US to study. She could have easily obtained a student visa. She didn't have to marry anyone to do that.

rathanakar

I have not signed both of the forms Thanks for replying

rathanakar

What I don't get is why he is assuming that she married him only to get to the US to study. She could have easily obtained a student visa. She didn't have to marry anyone to do that.
Thanks for replying. Everything was good and during marriage there was small mis understandings between elders and she took that serious and used to torcher me saying I dont like you becuase you have not supported me during marriage and for smal things , if I am not supporting she used take those and used to tell bad words about me and my parents.

THis caused her ego clashes and took that decision and she clearly told that was her dream and I want to full fill that becuase you are not my ultimate husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">