• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haiti Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jeskalo

I'm in Ny and have tried just bout everything to get my wife to agree to a divorce. (for over a year) She doesn't want me but she wants to make sure I will never have any kind of life with anyone else by asking for nearly 65% of my salary for life. She does not want to divorce because of religious reasons. She is 48 and I am 50. We have three adult children.
I have had two attorneys and have spent thousands of dollars trying to reach an agreement. I now hear from an attorney that I can go to Haiti and get a divorce without a hitch. Of course, maintanence would be disputed here in Ny but at least I would be divorced. The problem is I have asked a few other attoneys about this and they tell me it is illegal and the divorce would not be valid in NY. I am confused as I can find info online supporting both sides of this issue. Has anyone out there gone through anything like this? I would appreciate any advice or input. Thank you.

JL:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jeskalo said:
I'm in Ny and have tried just bout everything to get my wife to agree to a divorce. (for over a year) She doesn't want me but she wants to make sure I will never have any kind of life with anyone else by asking for nearly 65% of my salary for life. She does not want to divorce because of religious reasons. She is 48 and I am 50. We have three adult children.
I have had two attorneys and have spent thousands of dollars trying to reach an agreement. I now hear from an attorney that I can go to Haiti and get a divorce without a hitch. Of course, maintanence would be disputed here in Ny but at least I would be divorced. The problem is I have asked a few other attoneys about this and they tell me it is illegal and the divorce would not be valid in NY. I am confused as I can find info online supporting both sides of this issue. Has anyone out there gone through anything like this? I would appreciate any advice or input. Thank you.

JL:confused:

My response:

How mobile are you; i.e., do you have chains attached to you that keep you in New York, or are you able to move to another State without too much disruption to your own life ?

IAAL

J

Jeskalo

haiti Divorce

I could take a 6 week leave from my job but that's it. And I'm told that she can still fight me ...all she has to do is follow me to another state. But in Haiti you don't need grounds and I need to be there for only 24 hours.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: haiti Divorce

Jeskalo said:
I could take a 6 week leave from my job but that's it. And I'm told that she can still fight me ...all she has to do is follow me to another state. But in Haiti you don't need grounds and I need to be there for only 24 hours.
My response:

That's not enough time.

So, you've got to make a choice - - continue living with her under the rule of law in New York, and suffer, or move to a "divorce friendly" State; e.g., Nevada or California where you can obtain a "No-Fault" divorce. The only problem would be is that you must obviously quit your job, and satisfy the residency requirements of the new State. It's 3 months in Nevada, and 6 months in California. Once residency is satisfied, you can then file for divorce in the new State.

She could follow you to hell and back, but in Nevada or California, there's nothing she could do to stop a divorce. Those States, as only two examples, do not require the other spouse to "agree" with the divorce. It would just happen.

A Haitian divorce decree is not worth the paper it's written on here in the United States. But, you'll have a nice, albeit quick, vacation.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">