• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haitian divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springsidemonk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Is a Haitian divorce recognized in New Jersey? I live in New Jersey now and my wife lives in Bermuda. I'm seriously considering on doing this.

quincy

Last edited:

Springsidemonk

I just want a simple yes or no. I don't want to hear all the lawyer terms and stuff which I don't understand. I don't feel,like reading a book. I just would like a yes or no. Is it recognized in NJ or not it's that simple.

quincy

I just want a simple yes or no. I don't want to hear all the lawyer terms and stuff which I don't understand. I don't feel,like reading a book. I just would like a yes or no. Is it recognized in NJ or not it's that simple.
There is no simple yes or no answer for you based on the information you provided, Springsidemonk.

If you actually took the time to read the information provided to you in the other thread, you would know that.

From one of the links provided to you earlier: "New Jersey will recognize divorces obtained in foreign countries if the foreign court had jurisdiction and the foreign judgment does not offend New Jersey's public policy. Determining whether a foreign divorce meets those requirements and is valid is fact-specific. A New Jersey court will consider several factors including the domicile of the parties, adequate notice of the application for the foreign divorce and any hearings, whether both spouses participated in the divorce proceedings, whether any support, asset division, and child custody provisions are fair and reasonable, and the similarity of the grounds for the divorce to like grounds in New Jersey."

If you choose not to read what is provided, maybe you can have someone in your area read it to you and explain what it means. The "book" from the US Embassy is all of one page.

Or you can consult with an attorney in your area for an explanation. You can ask him not to use "lawyer terms."

Last edited:

single317dad

When we don't want to do something, yet it must be done anyway, we pay someone else to do it. How willing we are to pay someone to do the thing we don't want to do is a good gauge of how badly it really needs doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">