• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassing phone calls and texts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

btown91

MA

I have a question regarding harassing calls and text messages. My husbands ex-wife will get intoxicated and then barrage him with calls (sometimes 10 within 3 mins) and texts at all hours. The last set, was at 4 in the morning and there were about 20 text messages. She receives her child support, yet will complain she has no money (she was fired from her job, so she receives unemployment and her 3rd ex-husband bought her a condo so she has minimal overhead). We have the kids every other weekend and a couple times for dinner during the week. He is following the visitation agreement, though the oldest is 21 and doesn't always want to come over. The youngest is 16 and on occasion, she will want to go home early on Sunday, which we always check with the mother first and she will always say its fine.
The mother was clinically diagnosed as bi-polar, though refuses to take her medication because she drinks.
Most of the time the text messages don't make any sense.

There isn't anything specific about communication in their divorce agreement, and at this point, my husband and I want to limit contact with her because it stresses him out. She can get pretty derogatory in those messages and threatens court action all the time. Can he block her calls/texts and force her to only communicate via e-mail?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is HIS problem. Perhaps he should put his phone on silent overnight...

stellas

MA

I have a question regarding harassing calls and text messages. My husbands ex-wife will get intoxicated and then barrage him with calls (sometimes 10 within 3 mins) and texts at all hours. The last set, was at 4 in the morning and there were about 20 text messages. She receives her child support, yet will complain she has no money (she was fired from her job, so she receives unemployment and her 3rd ex-husband bought her a condo so she has minimal overhead). We have the kids every other weekend and a couple times for dinner during the week. He is following the visitation agreement, though the oldest is 21 and doesn't always want to come over. The youngest is 16 and on occasion, she will want to go home early on Sunday, which we always check with the mother first and she will always say its fine.
The mother was clinically diagnosed as bi-polar, though refuses to take her medication because she drinks.
Most of the time the text messages don't make any sense.

There isn't anything specific about communication in their divorce agreement, and at this point, my husband and I want to limit contact with her because it stresses him out. She can get pretty derogatory in those messages and threatens court action all the time. Can he block her calls/texts and force her to only communicate via e-mail?
He can and SHOULD. If she wants to take him back to court for not accepting her belligerent communications, then let her. I'm sure she'll get an earful from the judge.

You may also want to look into putting specific rules about communications in the custody papers. I'm in another state, but in my state there is some standard language that most judges will agree to if asked. You might want to check into what is standard in your state for this, and see about putting that language in the custody orders if you really think you guys will need that for the next four years.

Sorry for all your frustrations. That sounds like a nightmare. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">