• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment/emotional/mental abuse from ex husband...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am being emotionally and mentally abused by my ex husband. Is there anything I can do legally to make this harassment stop? We have two children so he’s always asking them what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am with. He has people watching me, even at work. He continues to call me horrible names (even in front of the children) and always threatens me that he will fight me in court to take my kids away from me if I don’t do what he wants/tells me to do…. I have had a restraining order against him in the past but it’s ended. Is there something I can do legally to make the harassment and abuse stop???

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I am being emotionally and mentally abused by my ex husband. Is there anything I can do legally to make this harassment stop? We have two children so he’s always asking them what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am with. He has people watching me, even at work. He continues to call me horrible names (even in front of the children) and always threatens me that he will fight me in court to take my kids away from me if I don’t do what he wants/tells me to do…. I have had a restraining order against him in the past but it’s ended. Is there something I can do legally to make the harassment and abuse stop???
WHY are you letting him bother you? Is your husband paying you alimony/spousal support? How do you know he has people watching you, even at work? What horrible names? Stating that he will take you to court for custody of HIS children is not a threat. It is something he has a legal right to do from now until the youngest turns 18.

WHY are you letting him bother you? Is your husband paying you alimony/spousal support? How do you know he has people watching you, even at work? What horrible names? Stating that he will take you to court for custody of HIS children is not a threat. It is something he has a legal right to do from now until the youngest turns 18.
He tells me I am a "sum bag" because I don't pay for my children. He forced me into agreeing he be soley financialy responsible for the children when we got our divorce. Our agreement states he must pay for school, day-care, clothes, camp, medical, extra activities, etc. Then he fights me when I had to purchase something for them and I'm looking for him to pay me back. I buy them plenty of things on my own and don't ask for a dime. I tell him this what he wanted and agreed to, it's not what I wanted. He now tells me he didn't think it would be this hard. He will do anything to cause difficulty for me, even use the kids as a point to "get to me". Today he called me the "C" word because I told him I found a day-care provider for the kids to go to seeing his mother wont watch them on the days I have the children (his mother owns a day-care center) and they have vacation from school or a day off. They have two weeks off from school after tomorrow so I told him what he would have to pay and now I'm subjected to him calling me that name and him telling me F*** Y** and to F*** O**...... Do I have any legal option to make him stop?????

Banned_Princess

I suspect it might let up alittle if you would stop asking him for stuff.

I doubt you were Forced to agree that he be solely finantially responsible.

Pay for stuff and sue him later for reimbursement.

if you dont like stuff, take him back to court.

LdiJ

He tells me I am a "sum bag" because I don't pay for my children. He forced me into agreeing he be soley financialy responsible for the children when we got our divorce. Our agreement states he must pay for school, day-care, clothes, camp, medical, extra activities, etc. Then he fights me when I had to purchase something for them and I'm looking for him to pay me back. I buy them plenty of things on my own and don't ask for a dime. I tell him this what he wanted and agreed to, it's not what I wanted. He now tells me he didn't think it would be this hard. He will do anything to cause difficulty for me, even use the kids as a point to "get to me". Today he called me the "C" word because I told him I found a day-care provider for the kids to go to seeing his mother wont watch them on the days I have the children (his mother owns a day-care center) and they have vacation from school or a day off. They have two weeks off from school after tomorrow so I told him what he would have to pay and now I'm subjected to him calling me that name and him telling me F*** Y** and to F*** O**...... Do I have any legal option to make him stop?????
Where do your exchanges take place?

I suspect it might let up alittle if you would stop asking him for stuff.

I doubt you were Forced to agree that he be solely finantially responsible.

Pay for stuff and sue him later for reimbursement.

if you dont like stuff, take him back to court.
I am not asking him for stuff... Just to pay me back for buying the things he's obligated to pay for....

YES, I was forced to agree that he be soley finantially responsible, he refused to sign the divorce papers unless I agreed to his terms.

Taking him back to court would be ideal.... I don't have the financial backing to do that... Do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this with out atty's being involved???

Banned_Princess

I am not asking him for stuff... Just to pay me back for buying the things he's obligated to pay for....

YES, I was forced to agree that he be soley finantially responsible, he refused to sign the divorce papers unless I agreed to his terms.

Taking him back to court would be ideal.... I don't have the financial backing to do that... Do you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this with out atty's being involved???
maybe small claims him every year, for the things he gave you a hard time paying for, even though he wanted to pay for them in the first place.

you can sue him without a lawyer.

Where do your exchanges take place?
He picks the kids up from school on Friday and I end up picking them up at his house Monday nights because in his words.... He doesn't want to bring them home.... We live just down the road from each other************** He's rude to me in person as well as on the phone.....

maybe small claims him every year, for the things he gave you a hard time paying for, even though he wanted to pay for them in the first place.

you can sue him without a lawyer.
Each time the subject of court comes up he constantly tells me if I take him to court for any reason he will take me to court to get full custody of our children. I know I've done nothing wrong to even make a judge think the children would be better suited with their Father but you never know what a judge is going to rule.....

Does anyone know if I can take legal action against him harassing me and abusing me emotionaly and mentally?? It' really taking a toll on me... At times I shake inside for days after he's done/said something to me.... I don't want to have some kind of attack or anything but sometimes I feel like I'm going to......

Banned_Princess

Each time the subject of court comes up he constantly tells me if I take him to court for any reason he will take me to court to get full custody of our children. I know I've done nothing wrong to even make a judge think the children would be better suited with their Father but you never know what a judge is going to rule.....
Empty threats, tell him to let up, and get cooperative, or you WILL not ask him to pay his obligation (or ask and get a denial via email), and just sue for it at the end of the year like taxes.

Renew the restraining order (which no doubt prohibits hostility) and dont call him, email him, to prove his unwillingness to cooperate.

I know what a judge will rule if he sued for full custody..:rolleyes:

Silverplum

Does anyone know if I can take legal action against him harassing me and abusing me emotionaly and mentally?? It' really taking a toll on me... At times I shake inside for days after he's done/said something to me.... I don't want to have some kind of attack or anything but sometimes I feel like I'm going to......
Get a new restraining order, and request that your communications be restricted to email regarding coparenting and scheduling issues only. Request that exchanges take place at the local police station, indoors.

Other than that, you can't force an unkind person to become kind. You can only restrict that person's ability to "get to" you.

Banned_Princess

Toughen up woman! hes not even your husband anymore.

If you stop letting it get to you, you will be a better person for it.

Mantras are great. Yoga is calming, and positive energy does wonders.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">