• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He thinks he owns me now!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nashcc

i was married 4 years ago and after 2 years we found a house to buy. my grandmother loaned us 20,000.00 to qualify in getting it. we signed a contract agreeing to pay 1,000.00 a yr. in interest until otherwise stated, which my husband has refused to pay and my father has paid for instead. anyway once we moved into the house my husband has become very abusive and has in his mind i will put up with it because my grandma has all that money invested in the house. i want a divorce and cannot afford and do not want the house. what could happen with loan. will i still have to pay half? can i make him pay it in full to keep the house? i really need to leave but need to know what could happen with this.

Last edited:

D

dorenephilpot

A contract is a contract. If grandma chooses to enforce it, you're both on the hook.

Why not sell the house? You could take the money you make on it and pay off the loan to grandma.

You could also ditch the husband, too, if you're so inclined.

If you do not wish to sell the house but DO wish to get rid of the husband, you probably would end up getting the house in the divorce because it was funding largely through your grandma's generosity. However, he would be entitled to any other equity that accrued during the two years that you've had it and made payments on it together.

I would need to know more information about your circumstances before giving you a more thorough answer.

Best of luck to you!

N

Nashcc

Nashcc said:
i was married 4 years ago and after 2 years we found a house to buy. my grandmother loaned us 20,000.00 to qualify in getting it. we signed a contract agreeing to pay 1,000.00 a yr. in interest until otherwise stated, which my husband has refused to pay and my father has paid for instead. anyway once we moved into the house my husband has become very abusive and has in his mind i will put up with it because my grandma has all that money invested in the house. i want a divorce and cannot afford and do not want the house. what could happen with loan. will i still have to pay half? can i make him pay it in full to keep the house? i really need to leave but need to know what could happen with this.

Thank You so much for the information. Could I ask 1 more thing? My husband believes that if we divorce he will continue to live in the house and pay for his half of the interest and I will have to pay the other half. Im not worried about my part because my grandma would give it back to me after paying for it if we are divorced, but he is so confident he will lose nothing at all, and he has defaulted the loan the past 2 years by not paying, since were still married my father angrily paid it, and I know from experience he will continue not to pay even when I am gone, because I also signed the contract and he thinks my dad will continue paying for my sake. I do want the house sold and my grandma paid back in full, is there anyway I could try to enforce this? Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">