• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

he threatens to dispute filed settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thelma Sue

What is the name of your state?
We both live in Florida.
We have no children.
My husband and I were able to settle on general terms of divorce and also came up with a fairly detailed property distribution. We disagreed on the value of the home (values in area are temporarily elevated due to recent hurricanes and homes are selling for more than they are being appraised at).
Even though we disagreed on the final value, my husband agreed to accept the valuation of an appraiser rather than the market value of realtors. Therefore I received the home in exchange for not asking for distribution of his 401(k) or some other materials.

We filed a simplified dissolution in florida along with the marital settlement agreement and attached a property distribution worksheet (of our own making).

He just signed the QuitClaim deed and we filed it so I can begin the loan assumption paperwork.

We still live in the same house (don't ask how well that is going!) because he and his girlfriend (yes, he had an affair) are waiting to close on their new home (so she is still living with the man she is divorcing - and yes she is a neighbor - my life has become a soap opera).

Each time we come across something in the house worth over $100 that we failed to put on the property distribution worksheet and I ask for it, he threatens to go back to the courthouse and contest the terms of divorce. He also won't leave because the divorce is not final and he doesn't want to get an apartment.

Finally the question.
Does the fact that we already filed an agreement with the court (we also waived a final appearance hearing) and he signed and we filed the quit claim deed to the house give me any rights to stand up to him when he threatens to contest the terms he already agreed to?

I want this over as quickly as possible but the clerk said it would probably be six weeks (5 more from today) before the papers come back.

I'm walking on eggshells and meantime am watching every little thing (and they add up over time) disappear from the house into his storage unit.

Thanks,

BelizeBreeze

Tell him the next time he wants to argue over pennies that you are more than ready to go back to court and take 1/2 of everything, INCLUDING his 401 K and rehabilitative alimony, the house, the cars, his shorts AND make him pay for your attorney, who charges $500 an hour.

Thelma Sue

what about the quit claim deed

Does the fact that he signed the house to me in a quit claim deed give me the right to have him leave the house (and change the locks)?

nextwife

He'd still likely be entitled to proper 30 day notice under M-T-M tenancy laws.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">