• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He wants my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baddecisions

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Debts incurred by both my husband and myself that are soley in my name have been paid off by refinancing the home that I owned before our marriage. The refinancing was done in both our names. He refuses to sign the divorce papers and quit claim deed to my home. If he is due any appreciation in the house during our marriage, is he not equally responsible for the debts incurred against the home?

Last edited:

baddecisions

When we married he had poor credit, was in debt to the IRS an in default on his student loan. We used my credit during the six year marriage and went extremely in debt. When we split up I still owed over 50k in unsecured credit card debt and was forced to file bankruptcy. His credit, of course, is now good. The lawyer I plan to retain told me that I had to wait until I received my bankruptcy discharge before I could proceed with a contested divorce. I received the discharge Christmas eve (Merry Christmas to me!). I also have to raise 2K for the retainer which I should have by the end of Jan. Am I SOL for thinking that he should be responsible for the debt in which the house has increased by. There is no equity to speak of in the house now. In fact I owe twice as much as I did on the house than I did when we married.

LdiJ

baddecisions said:
When we married he had poor credit, was in debt to the IRS an in default on his student loan. We used my credit during the six year marriage and went extremely in debt. When we split up I still owed over 50k in unsecured credit card debt and was forced to file bankruptcy. His credit, of course, is now good. The lawyer I plan to retain told me that I had to wait until I received my bankruptcy discharge before I could proceed with a contested divorce. I received the discharge Christmas eve (Merry Christmas to me!). I also have to raise 2K for the retainer which I should have by the end of Jan. Am I SOL for thinking that he should be responsible for the debt in which the house has increased by. There is no equity to speak of in the house now. In fact I owe twice as much as I did on the house than I did when we married.
Your attorney will best be able to advise you on all of this. Your bankruptcy makes it fairly complicated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">