• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

he wont give me my personal docs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

googieann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

My husband and I have been seperated for about a couple months (I will be filing for divorce soon). When he left he took all of our files that contain various bits of information; i.e birth certificates (original copy), my lease agreement, student loan information, car title, etc...

He is being stubborn to say the least and will not give them back to me. I need them for obvious reasons. Is there anything i can do to get them back or am i stuck with this situation until this divorce is resolved in court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

My husband and I have been seperated for about a couple months (I will be filing for divorce soon). When he left he took all of our files that contain various bits of information; i.e birth certificates (original copy), my lease agreement, student loan information, car title, etc...

He is being stubborn to say the least and will not give them back to me. I need them for obvious reasons. Is there anything i can do to get them back or am i stuck with this situation until this divorce is resolved in court?
Get a court order.

LdiJ

Get a court order.
And in the meantime replace as many of those documents as you can. You can get new copies of birth certificates, your landlord can give you a copy of the lease agreement, if the car is in your name only, you can get a replacement title..etc. etc. etc.

The more you take the effort to replace, the less "power" he has in keeping your personal docs.

googieann

Thank you for the responses. I guess at this point i will just replace the items that i need. Hopefully he wont do anything shady with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">