• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heading toward divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darkside

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I have been married twenty one years and have 2 teenage sons. My wife moved out in August of 2009. The kids are with me. She has admitted to having at least one affair and is currently involved with someone else. She has had multiple run ins with the law and has been arrested at least twice that I know off. She is know making unfounded claims of me being a bad parent and is threatening to get a lawyer. She believes she will get 50% of everything and full custody of the kids. I can not afford a lawyer and had hoped we could settle this amicably.

What do I do at this point? I am afraid this is going to snowball out of control and I will end up with nothing. Any advise would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

She WILL get 50% of all marital property in most cases. She may also get spousal support, depending on relative incomes.

In AZ, behavior during the marriage does not affect either spousal support or property division:
Arizona Divorce Source: State Divorce Laws: Arizona

Custody of the children will be determined based on what is best for the kids. As a VERY general rule, joint LEGAL custody is becoming predominant unless one parent is unfit. Physical custody can range from 50:50 to one parent having most of the time. It depends on who the children are currently spending the most time with among other things. If both parents are equally involved in rearing the children, a 50:50 physical custody may be possible, but this generally requires the spouses to work well together and to live reasonably close together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">