• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Red Bull

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am separated from my wife. I am on her health insurance plan. She has given me a month to get enrolled on another plan, and then she will drop me.

1. What length of time is reasonable for a spouse to drop another spouse off an insurance plan?

2. My employer enrollment period is in December. It was explained to me by my employer human resource department the only way to get enrolled would be by demonstrating that I have lost insurance "involuntarily." Would a separation, of which I did not want, be considered an "involuntary" loss of insurance? It is not a legal separation, and no court action has otherwise occurred.

mistoffolees

Since it's not a legal separation, you are both responsible for any medical bills. By canceling insurance, she would become responsible for half of your medical bills - which isn't a very smart move.

OTOH, if you're separated, you need to start paying your own expenses. The easiest (and probably fairest) solution is for you to pay your share of the insurance and have her keep it in place.

If one of you had filed for divorce, she would not be able to cancel the insurance. But since you're not divorcing, you can't force her to carry insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Since it's not a legal separation, you are both responsible for any medical bills. By canceling insurance, she would become responsible for half of your medical bills - which isn't a very smart move.

OTOH, if you're separated, you need to start paying your own expenses. The easiest (and probably fairest) solution is for you to pay your share of the insurance and have her keep it in place.

If one of you had filed for divorce, she would not be able to cancel the insurance. But since you're not divorcing, you can't force her to carry insurance.
No she wouldn't automatically become responsible for HIS medical bills. Just bieng married wouldn't do that. It could make it a marital debt. Not to mention this OP has several different threads going and there is so much more to this story.

mistoffolees

No she wouldn't automatically become responsible for HIS medical bills. Just bieng married wouldn't do that. It could make it a marital debt.
That's what I meant. It becomes a marital debt so when they get around to splitting things, they each pay half.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's what I meant. It becomes a marital debt so when they get around to splitting things, they each pay half.
Not necessarily would they each pay half. Depends on a lot of different things -- some of which are mentioned in Red's other threads which could definitely impact things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">