• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momstaxiservice

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

I'm divorced and as part of our decree it states that I am to cover my husband under my health insurance as long as it is available to me through my employer or if I remarry or if he can get insurance. It further states that if there is a change to cover him that he'd be responsible to pay the difference. Upon completing open enrollment my marital status was changed to divorced and my insurance company cancelled him as a result of the qualifying event. He's been offered Colbra with a monthly premium. He's contacted my employer and told them that I HAVE to pay for his health insurance. They have referred him to his attorney.

Does he have a leg to stand on to take me back to court to try to get me to pay for his insurance? Doesn't seem so based upon the decree. Also, I have a restraining order and am not using an attorney. How will he be able to contact me if he does decide to take me back to court? Finally, if we do go to court, what paperwork can I file to ask for expense reimbursement since I will have to miss a day of pay again as a result. I can't afford these wild goose chases anymore. I have a child to care for.

I fulfilled my obligation and would just like to get away from this horrid man and move forward with my life. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Momstaxiservice

LdiJ

momstaxiservice said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

I'm divorced and as part of our decree it states that I am to cover my husband under my health insurance as long as it is available to me through my employer or if I remarry or if he can get insurance. It further states that if there is a change to cover him that he'd be responsible to pay the difference. Upon completing open enrollment my marital status was changed to divorced and my insurance company cancelled him as a result of the qualifying event. He's been offered Colbra with a monthly premium. He's contacted my employer and told them that I HAVE to pay for his health insurance. They have referred him to his attorney.
Your first mistake was allowing an agreement like that to be included in your divorce decree. Your employer did exactly what was expected.

Does he have a leg to stand on to take me back to court to try to get me to pay for his insurance? Doesn't seem so based upon the decree.
The decree states that if there is a charge to cover him that he is responsible to pay that. Therefore, if he wants the insurance he needs to accept the COBRA.

Also, I have a restraining order and am not using an attorney. How will he be able to contact me if he does decide to take me back to court?
By certified mail, with a process server...etc. There are any number of ways that he can serve you without violating the restraining order.

Finally, if we do go to court, what paperwork can I file to ask for expense reimbursement since I will have to miss a day of pay again as a result. I can't afford these wild goose chases anymore. I have a child to care for.
Your odds of getting a judge to reimburse you for expenses is slim to none.

I fulfilled my obligation and would just like to get away from this horrid man and move forward with my life. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Momstaxiservice
The best advice that I can give you is to do nothing until he takes some sort of action.....or until you hear from his attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">