• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance for my kids?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alcatraz bird

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In my original divorce in 1999, I was ordered to pay child support for my 3 kids (1100/mo) and to provide them with health insurance.

I lost my job in 2004, and found another one with considerably less pay, from $50,000/yr. to $25,000/yr. I still kept up my payments to her and to the health insurance co.($300/mo). A total of $1400/mo. I was living a very meager existance.

I was astonished when she took me back to court in 2007 to get an increase in child support, even though I found out she was doing it to pay off a judgement against her from a credit card company. I panicked, thinking I was probably going to end up in prison because I couldn't afford higher payments. She has a real problem with compulive shopping, and she's an accountant making $60,000/yr.

To my surprise, the judge in this matter's ruling told her that "you've already raked this man over the coals and your ex isn't responsible for your credit card debts". He saw right through her facade. The result was, he dropped my child support payments to $550/mo., and ordered her to pay the health insurance from now on, because she earned twice what I do and her employeer provides health insurance family plans.

She reluctantly obeyed the ruling for about a year, but I now found out she dropped the health insurance for my children, so she could have more money for her shopping.

My question: Can I file a contempt charge against her? My oldest is now in college and I voluntarily pay 1/3 of his school expenses. Am I still financially responsible if one of my children gets hurt or gets sick? What are my options?

Thanks to any responses.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In my original divorce in 1999, I was ordered to pay child support for my 3 kids (1100/mo) and to provide them with health insurance.

I lost my job in 2004, and found another one with considerably less pay, from $50,000/yr. to $25,000/yr. I still kept up my payments to her and to the health insurance co.($300/mo). A total of $1400/mo. I was living a very meager existance.

I was astonished when she took me back to court in 2007 to get an increase in child support, even though I found out she was doing it to pay off a judgement against her from a credit card company. I panicked, thinking I was probably going to end up in prison because I couldn't afford higher payments. She has a real problem with compulive shopping, and she's an accountant making $60,000/yr.

To my surprise, the judge in this matter's ruling told her that "you've already raked this man over the coals and your ex isn't responsible for your credit card debts". He saw right through her facade. The result was, he dropped my child support payments to $550/mo., and ordered her to pay the health insurance from now on, because she earned twice what I do and her employeer provides health insurance family plans.

She reluctantly obeyed the ruling for about a year, but I now found out she dropped the health insurance for my children, so she could have more money for her shopping.

My question: Can I file a contempt charge against her? My oldest is now in college and I voluntarily pay 1/3 of his school expenses. Am I still financially responsible if one of my children gets hurt or gets sick? What are my options?

Thanks to any responses.
You should absolutely file for contempt for her dropping the health insurance, IMMEDIATELY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">