• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Held hostage to a marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wolfwoman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
My husband and I have had problems for 5 or 6 years. I have told him on several occasions that I want to get separated/divorced, but he refuses to agree. He has stated that if I ask him again, he will quit his job(a good job), and drink himself to death.(he has been sober for 14 years) He has also told me that my even talking about divorce is too stressful for him, and that I am "killing him". I am a stay-at-home mom. We have a house, and 2 children. I am worried that I have the choice of my kids not having their father, or being basically held hostage to the marriage. He controls all the money, and so I have no money for an attorney.

wolfwoman said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
My husband and I have had problems for 5 or 6 years. I have told him on several occasions that I want to get separated/divorced, but he refuses to agree. He has stated that if I ask him again, he will quit his job(a good job), and drink himself to death.(he has been sober for 14 years) He has also told me that my even talking about divorce is too stressful for him, and that I am "killing him". I am a stay-at-home mom. We have a house, and 2 children. I am worried that I have the choice of my kids not having their father, or being basically held hostage to the marriage. He controls all the money, and so I have no money for an attorney.
Do not pay attention to your husband's threats. Just go down to Legal Aid and explain your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">