• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KTGIRL

Hi, I am from Missouri and need some help on getting divorced here. We married in 97, seperated in 99, he cheated, etc. We haven't even seen each other since December of 2000, had no children, no marital property. No household goods to divide. Do I still have to fill out a marital property agreement and submit it when I file for divorce? His debts are his debts, my debts are mine, we didn't buy anything together after the marriage. Held no bank accounts together. No credit cards, etc. Since there is nothing to divide, no children to provide for, no house or cars, shouldn't I be able to simply file the Petition for Dissolution and Affidavit of Consent and have it done with? Thank you in advance for your time.

ellencee

When he files one listing all of your 'things' you had together, how will you answer?
Don't you think it would be better to fill out the form, attest to its truth, and file it even if it proves to be unnecessary?

EC

K

KTGIRL

Well, there is nothing that we ever had together. We didn't buy anything together. We had fairly little coming into the marriage, and even less leaving. I will go ahead and fill out the form, but there will be a whole lot of nothing on it. He had his bank account, I had mine. The home we were in, we lost when he stopped making payments, along with all our furniture, household items, etc. I left with clothes, and toiletries, that's it. He did the same.

H

hexeliebe

Poor uneducated child...get thee to an attorney NOW!

The home we were in, we lost when he stopped making payments
Who do you think the home lender is coming after when he files bankrupty before you file for divorce? You see, you did have something in the marriage. It's called a foreclosure and you are equally liable for it until a court deems otherwise.

stephenk

Hex, you back home from Belize?

bring any cuban ceeeeeeeeegars home? bolivar pyramid has been a long time favorite.

K

KTGIRL

hexeliebe said:
Poor uneducated child...get thee to an attorney NOW!

Who do you think the home lender is coming after when he files bankrupty before you file for divorce? You see, you did have something in the marriage. It's called a foreclosure and you are equally liable for it until a court deems otherwise.

The house was in his name only, bought before the marriage. I'll fill out the marital property form, but he won't file for bankruptcy when he finds out I am filing, I am not asking for anything from him but the divorce. I doubt he'll even get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">